Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-DHS announces new campaign to combat "unimaginable horror" of child exploitation and abuse online -GrowthInsight
Charles H. Sloan-DHS announces new campaign to combat "unimaginable horror" of child exploitation and abuse online
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:02:04
Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas announced Wednesday a public awareness campaign to address online child exploitation and Charles H. Sloanabuse that he called an "unimaginable horror."
"We just have to raise awareness and teach children, and everyone around them, how to recognize the predators, when they are about to be victimized, how to protect themselves and what to do," Mayorkas said on "CBS Mornings" on Wednesday.
The new campaign, Know2Protect, works with partners from the public and private sector to educate parents and their children on how to combat and report exploitation, along with how to support victims amid rising rates of abuse in recent years.
"Prevention is just the first line, but we also have to make sure that if something occurs, we remediate," Mayorkas said. "Those children come forward, the parents come forward, and we can address it, not only to help the victim, but also to hold the perpetrators accountable."
Among the agency's partners are tech giants including Google and Meta, which will provide users with information about the campaign on their platforms, along with sporting league partners like NASCAR and the NFL and other organizations like the Boy Scouts of America. DHS is also partnering with various law enforcement officials to continue to develop relevant training programs for law enforcement.
Meta's Global Head of Safety Antigone Davis said on "CBS Mornings" that while the tech company takes a number of measures to prevent the abuse online, they hope to work with parents and partners to help protect kids further.
"We're not trying to pass the buck to parents, but we all need to work together — whether that's DHS, whether it's us, whether it's parents to help protect kids online."
With the announcement, DHS also released resources for parents like an internet safety checklist and tips for protecting kids and teens online, including advice on password protections, privacy settings and location services.
The campaign, which marks the federal government's first prevention and awareness campaign to address online child sexual exploitation, comes amid a rise in reports of sexual exploitation of children in recent years. Last year, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children reported more than 36 million reports of suspected child sexual exploitation, up 12% from the previous year. The Biden administration and lawmakers in Congress have sought to implement safeguards for children in an increasingly online world with rapid technological advancements.
During a fiery Senate hearing in January, leaders of prominent social media companies were reprimanded by lawmakers for not doing enough to protect kids from being sexually exploited online, as members of Congress have worked largely unsuccessfully to approve legislation in recent years to regulate social media companies.
Kaia HubbardKaia Hubbard is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
TwitterveryGood! (11987)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- Serbia’s president denies troop buildup near Kosovo, alleges ‘campaign of lies’ in wake of clashes
- Tim Wakefield, longtime Boston Red Sox knuckleball pitcher, dies at 57
- Lane Kiffin finally gets signature win as Ole Miss outlasts LSU in shootout for the ages
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Inmate accused of killing corrections officer at Georgia prison
- New York Mets manager Buck Showalter not returning in 2024 after disappointing season
- Fire erupts in a police headquarters in Egypt, injuring at least 14 people
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- It's only fitting Ukraine gets something that would have belonged to Russia
Ranking
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein, pioneering LGBTQ ally, celebrated and mourned in San Francisco
- Las Vegas Raiders release DE Chandler Jones one day after arrest
- NYC flooding updates: Sewers can't handle torrential rain; city reels after snarled travel
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Shopping for Barbie at the airport? Hot Wheels on a cruise ship? Toys R Us has got you
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein, pioneering LGBTQ ally, celebrated and mourned in San Francisco
- College football Week 5 grades: Bloviating nonsense has made its way to 'College GameDay'
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Connecticut enacts its most sweeping gun control law since the Sandy Hook shooting
Calgary Flames executive Chris Snow dies at 42 after defying ALS odds for years
28 rescued in 'historic' New York storm, state of emergency to remain: Gov. Hochul
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
7 sets of remains exhumed, 59 graves found after latest search for remains of the Tulsa Race Massacre victims
Nobel Prize announcements are getting underway with the unveiling of the medicine prize
Bay Area Subway franchises must pay $1 million for endangering children, stealing checks