Current:Home > reviewsJim Harbaugh’s coaching philosophy with Chargers underscored with pick of OT Joe Alt at No. 5 -GrowthInsight
Jim Harbaugh’s coaching philosophy with Chargers underscored with pick of OT Joe Alt at No. 5
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:24:47
COSTA MESA, Calif. — The Los Angeles Chargers fully embraced Jim Harbaugh’s coaching philosophy with their first pick in the 2024 NFL draft.
The Chargers declined trade inquires, remained at No. 5 overall and selected Notre Dame offensive tackle Joe Alt.
"Offensive linemen we look at as weapons," Harbaugh said. "That group when we talk about attacking, when we talk about attacking on offense, offensive line is the tip of the spear."
The Harbaugh-led Chargers have been abundantly clear about their offensive identity – they want to play a physical brand of football, protect quarterback Justin Herbert and establish the run. Their new acquisitions include running backs Gus Edwards and J.K. Dobbins, center Bradley Bozeman and blocking tight end Will Dissly.
Alt was considered the consensus top tackle in this year’s draft. He was a unanimous All-American as a junior and was an All-American as a sophomore. He started 33 of 38 career games for Norte Dame.
NFL DRAFT HUB: Latest NFL Draft mock drafts, news, live picks, grades and analysis.
"I feel like we got a guy that’s gonna come in and really improve our team," Chargers general manager Joe Hortiz said. "He’s big, physical, tough, smart, durable, an outstanding player in college who is just scratching the surface.
"I said it from the beginning when we started talking about the draft. We are gonna take the best player available for the Chargers and that’s what we did (Thursday)."
Harbaugh revealed he received a stamp of approval via text from his brother, Baltimore Ravens coach, John, following the Chargers pick.
"He said that’s who I would have taken," Jim Harbaugh claimed.
Alt played left tackle at Notre Dame and never played a snap at right tackle. However, he’s likely going to be asked to play right tackle with 2021 Pro Bowler Rashawn Slater protecting Herbert’s blind side on the left side. The move to the right will naturally come with an acclimation period, but Alt believes he’ll adjust fine on the right side.
"I don’t think it’ll be a huge adjustment for me," Alt said of possibly playing right tackle. "I think that’s something I’ll be able to do if that’s what the coaches would like."
Alt is the highest-drafted Notre Dame offensive lineman in over 50 years. He also has good family genes. His father, John, was a first-round pick by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1984 and was a two-time Pro Bowler.
The Chargers have picked No. 5 overall five times in the common draft era. Two players the Chargers previously selected at five are Junior Seau and LaDainian Tomlinson, both of whom went on to have Hall of Fame careers. The Chargers' newest No. 5 overall pick is officially Harbaugh’s first draft pick as the team’s head coach, and the addition underscores the identity he’s aiming to establish in Los Angeles.
"This is a high, high ceiling and a really high floor player. This is a great piece," Harbaugh said. "As I said, it starts up front. Tip of the spear of our attack with our offensive linemen. He’s gonna be a tremendous piece."
Follow USA TODAY Sports' Tyler Dragon on X @TheTylerDragon.
veryGood! (2887)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Bachelor in Paradise’s Kat and John Henry Break Up
- Police responding to burglary kill a man authorities say was armed with knife
- Commercial fishermen need more support for substance abuse and fatigue, lawmakers say
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- The Excerpt podcast: Appeals court upholds Trump gag order in election interference case
- Bluestocking Bookshop of Michigan champions used books: 'I see books I've never seen before'
- Frost protection for plants: Tips from gardening experts for the winter.
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Mason Disick Looks So Grown Up in Rare Family Photo
- 2 Broke Girls' Kat Dennings Marries Andrew W.K. After Almost 3 Years of Dating
- Rapper Quando Rondo charged with federal drug crimes. He was already fighting Georgia charges
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Young Thug trial delayed at least a day after co-defendant is stabbed in jail
- The Excerpt podcast: What is the future of Gaza?
- Man charged with terrorism over a fire at South African Parliament is declared unfit to stand trial
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
32 things we learned in NFL Week 14: Cowboys' NFC shake-up caps wild weekend
Imprisoned accomplice in shooting of then-NFL player’s girlfriend dies
How the 2016 election could factor into the case accusing Trump of trying to overturn the 2020 race
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Texas woman who sought court permission for abortion leaves state for the procedure, attorneys say
Palestinian flag lodged in public Hanukkah menorah in Connecticut sparks outcry
18 California children are suing the EPA over climate change