Current:Home > FinanceChainkeen|Judge in Trump’s civil fraud case says he won’t recuse himself over ‘nothingburger’ encounter -GrowthInsight
Chainkeen|Judge in Trump’s civil fraud case says he won’t recuse himself over ‘nothingburger’ encounter
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 11:45:51
NEW YORK (AP) — The ChainkeenNew York judge who ordered Donald Trump to pay a nearly $500 million civil fraud judgment said Thursday he won’t step aside from the case, rebuffing concerns that the verdict was influenced by a brief conversation he had with another lawyer as a “nothingburger.”
Judge Arthur Engoron’s eight-page order came in response to Trump’s attorneys’ request that he recuse himself based on a claim by real estate attorney Adam Leitman Bailey that the two had discussed the state law at the heart of the case prior to the verdict.
In the ruling, Engoron vehemently disputed the attorney’s description of their February encounter. He wrote that Bailey had accosted him in a courthouse hallway, then followed him down the stairs and onto the street while “droning on” about his interpretation of the law.
“I did not initiate, welcome, encourage, engage in, or learn from, much less enjoy, Bailey’s tirade,” Engoron wrote, adding that the “unpleasant occurrence” lasted about 90 seconds.
Bailey claimed in an interview published by NBC New York in May that he’d discussed the case with Engoron shortly before the verdict was issued and given him his take on a relevant portion of the law.
In a filing last month, an attorney for Trump, Christopher Kise, wrote that the conversation may have violated state rules around judicial communications and had created an “appearance of impropriety and tarnish the integrity of this proceeding beyond repair.”
The recusal request cited reports that the New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct had opened an inquiry into the conversation.
Engoron responded that he had not been contacted by the commission and was not aware of any investigation. Throughout the high-profile trial, the judge said he’d been frequently confronted by people on the street, in restaurants, parks, and on public transportation.
“Sometimes their unsolicited words are complimentary. Sometimes they are derogatory,” he wrote. “Never do they affect my rulings. As with my forced encounter with Bailey, I feel no need to report these fleeting incidents.”
He continued: “I would have forgotten all about it by now had Bailey not attempted to burnish his reputation as someone who could influence judges.”
Neither Kise nor Bailey responded to an emailed request for comment on the judge’s decision.
Engoron ruled on Feb. 16 that Trump lied to banks, insurers and others about his wealth. He found that Trump, his company and top executives — including his sons Eric and Donald Trump Jr. — schemed for years to inflate his wealth on financial statements used to secure loans and make deals.
The judge ordered Trump to pay $355 million in penalties, but with interest the total has grown to more than $471 million — including $17.1 million that has accrued since the verdict. The sum will increase by nearly $112,000 per day until he pays, unless the verdict is overturned.
Trump posted a $175 million bond in April to halt collection of the judgment and prevent James’ office from seizing his assets while he appeals.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- A 5.4 magnitude earthquake has shaken Jamaica with no immediate reports of casualties or damage
- Sam Bankman-Fried testimony: FTX founder testifies on Alameda Research concerns
- Mass shootings over Halloween weekend leave at least 11 dead across US
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Takeaways from the AP’s investigation into aging oil ships
- Shop Like RHOC's Emily Simpson With Date Night Beauty Faves From $14
- Crews battle brush fires in Southern California sparked by winds, red flag warnings issued
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- 4 former Hong Kong student leaders jailed over their praise of a knife attack on a police officer
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Families of Americans trapped by Israel-Hamas war in Gaza tell CBS News they're scared and feel betrayed
- Fantasy football risers, fallers: Jahan Dotson shows off sleeper potential
- In 'The Holdovers,' three broken people get schooled
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Matthew Perry's Former Costar Ione Skye Shares Their Final Text Exchange Days Before His Death
- It's unlikely, but not impossible, to limit global warming to 1.5 Celsius, study finds
- Some striking UAW members carry family legacies, Black middle-class future along with picket signs
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
'Five Nights at Freddy's' movie pulls off a Halloween surprise: $130.6 million worldwide
A British man is extradited to Germany and indicted over a brutal killing nearly 45 years ago
Matthew Perry, star of Friends, dies at age 54
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
A British man is extradited to Germany and indicted over a brutal killing nearly 45 years ago
Horoscopes Today, October 28, 2023
Suspect arrested in Tampa shooting that killed 2, injured 18