Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Red Lobster says it will soon exit bankruptcy protection after judge approves seafood chain’s sale -GrowthInsight
Burley Garcia|Red Lobster says it will soon exit bankruptcy protection after judge approves seafood chain’s sale
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 04:49:02
NEW YORK (AP) — After months of dozens of restaurant closings and Burley Garciaheadlines about “endless shrimp” woes, Red Lobster is poised to soon exit from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
A U.S. bankruptcy judge on Thursday approved the casual seafood chain’s reorganization plan and sale to a lender group led by asset manager Fortress. The green light arrives under just four months after Red Lobster filed for bankruptcy protection as it pursued a sale, following years of mounting losses and dwindling customers while it struggled to keep up with competitors.
At the time of filing in May, Red Lobster’s leadership shared plans to “simplify the business” through a reduction of locations. The Orlando, Florida, chain shuttered dozens of its North American restaurants in recent months — both leading up to and during the bankruptcy process. That includes more than 50 locations whose equipment was put up for auction just days before the Chapter 11 petition, followed by dozens of additional closures throughout the bankruptcy process.
Red Lobster said Thursday that it expects to operate about 544 locations across the U.S. and Canada upon emerging from bankruptcy. That’s down from 578 disclosed as of May’s filing.
Under terms of the acquisition, which is expected to close at the end of September, the chain will continue to operate as an independent company.
The chain will also get a new CEO — Damola Adamolekun, former chief executive of P.F. Chang’s.
Adamolekun was appointed to head RL Investor Holdings, the newly formed entity acquiring Red Lobster, by Fortress last week. In a statement Thursday, Adamolekun said that Red Lobster “has a tremendous future” and thanked Jonathan Tibus, who will leave the company and step down as CEO, for his leadership during the bankruptcy process.
Red Lobster’s purchaser is also providing additional funding to help the Orlando, Florida-based chain get back on its feet post-emergence. Adamolekun said the company’s long-term investment plan includes a commitment of more than $60 million in new funding.
Red Lobster has seen multiple ownership changes over the course of its 56-year history. The chain was founded back in 1968 by Bill Darden, who sold Red Lobster to General Mills in 1970. General Mills later went on to form Darden Restaurants, which owns Olive Garden and other chains. Darden Restaurants was spun off from General Mills in 1995.
Darden Restaurants later sold Red Lobster to a private equity firm in 2014. Thai Union Group, one of the world’s largest seafood suppliers, first invested in Red Lobster in 2016 and upped its stake in 2020 — but announced its intention to exit its minority investment earlier this year.
When announcing plans to divest in January, CEO Thiraphong Chansiri said the COVID-19 pandemic, industry headwinds and rising operating costs from Red Lobster had resulted in “prolonged negative financial contributions to Thai Union and its shareholders.” It reported a $19 million loss from Red Lobster for the first nine months of 2023.
While not the sole reason, among sources of loss were — yes — those endless shrimp. Last year, Red Lobster significantly expanded the iconic all-you-can-eat special. But customer demand overwhelmed what the chain could afford. Thai Union leadership later noted that the deal’s $20 price tag wasn’t making enough money.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Drew Barrymore Exits Stage During Scary Moment at NYC Event After Man Tells Her I Need to See You
- See Nick Jonas Carry Daughter Malti in IKEA Basket on Central Park Outing With Priyanka Chopra
- 1 student killed, 23 injured after school bus flips in Ohio to avoid striking minivan
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Solar panels to surround Dulles Airport will deliver power to 37,000 homes
- A judge will consider if Texas can keep its floating barrier to block migrants crossing from Mexico
- Chicago woman arrested for threatening to kill Trump and his son
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Hundreds of patients evacuated from Los Angeles hospital building that lost power in storm’s wake
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Dentist convicted of killing wife on African safari gets life sentence, $15M in penalties
- Fruit grower who opposes same-sex marriage wins ruling over access to public market
- Rumer Willis Admits Her Baby Girl's Name Came From Text Typo
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Texas Supreme Court denies request to delay new election law despite lawsuit challenging it
- Gisele Bündchen Tells Tom Brady's Son Jack She'll Always Be Here for Him After Divorce
- Court battle begins over Missouri’s ban on gender-affirming health care for minors
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Angelina Jolie Gets Her Middle Fingers Tattooed With Mystery Message
MLK’s dream for America is one of the stars of the 60th anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington
Yale police union flyers warning of high crime outrage school, city leaders
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
California day spa linked to fatal Legionnaires' disease outbreak: What to know
Domino's pizza chain introduces pepperoni-stuffed cheesy bread
'Celebrity Jeopardy!': Ken Jennings replaces Mayim Bialik as host amid ongoing strikes