Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Naomi Campbell banned from charity role for 5 years after financial investigation -GrowthInsight
Rekubit-Naomi Campbell banned from charity role for 5 years after financial investigation
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 00:22:32
Naomi Campbell is Rekubitbarred from serving as a charity trustee for five years after a United Kingdom watchdog group found evidence of financial misconduct at the model's charity, Fashion for Relief.
The U.K.'s Charity Commission released a report Thursday, noting in a release that the charity was "poorly governed" and "had inadequate financial management."
Its investigation found the charity spent less than 9% of its earnings on grants and causes, and that some of the charity's expenses were "not reasonable." This includes a stay at a five-star hotel and security for Campbell, 54, during an event at Cannes Film Festival in 2018, as well as "spa treatments, room service, and the purchase of cigarettes."
USA TODAY has reached out to Campbell's reps for comment.
Two of Campbell's co-trustees, Bianka Hellmich and Veronica Chou, were also barred from serving as trustees for nine and four years, respectively. The Charity Commission's investigation found Hellmich received over £290,000, or over $388,000, in consultancy fees, which were unauthorized by the commission.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
The commission noted Fashion for Relief "failed to manage" partnerships with two charities: Save the Children Fund and the Mayor's Fund for London. The commission brought in interim managers to make outstanding payments to the charities totaling about £345,000, or over $460,000.
Naomi Campbell remains iconic –and shades Anna Wintour – at Harlem's Fashion Row event
"This inquiry, and the work of the interim managers we appointed to run the charity in place of the trustees, has resulted in the recovery of £344,000 and protection of a further £98,000 charitable funds," said Tim Hopkins, Charity Commission deputy director, in a released statement. "I am pleased that the inquiry has seen donations made to other charities which this charity has previously supported."
Fashion for Relief, which was officially registered in 2015, a decade after its founding, was dissolved and removed from the country's register of charities this March.
The legendary British supermodel founded Fashion For Relief in 2005, which on its website says it has "supported many important humanitarian causes," including the Ebola crisis and Hurricane Katrina, and other causes like Time's Up.
veryGood! (19719)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- A bitter fight between two tribes over sacred land where one built a casino
- Georgia court could reject counting presidential votes for Cornel West and Claudia De la Cruz
- Can dogs eat apples? Why taking your pup to the orchard this fall may be risky.
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Inmate who was beaten in back of patrol car in Arkansas has filed federal lawsuit
- Can dogs eat apples? Why taking your pup to the orchard this fall may be risky.
- Georgia high school football players facing charges after locker room fight, stabbing
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Georgia court could reject counting presidential votes for Cornel West and Claudia De la Cruz
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Yelloh, formerly known as Schwan's Home Delivery, permanently closing frozen food deliveries
- Bowl projections: James Madison, Iowa State move into College Football Playoff field
- Coach’s Halloween 2024 Drop Is Here—Shop Eerie-sistible Bags and Accessories We’re Dying To Get Our Hands
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Passenger killed when horse smashes through windshield during California highway crashes
- When does 'Grotesquerie' premiere? Date, time, where to watch new show featuring Travis Kelce
- Pennsylvania county must tell voters if it counted their mail-in ballot, court rules
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
More women are charged with pregnancy-related crimes since Roe’s end, study finds
Mississippi’s Republican governor pushes income-tax cut, says critics rely on ‘myths’
Michael Strahan reveals he's a grandfather after the birth of his first grandchild
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Can dogs eat apples? Why taking your pup to the orchard this fall may be risky.
Minnesota woman gets 20 years in real estate agent’s killing as part of plea deal
Video game actors’ union calls for strike against ‘League of Legends’