Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Man holding a burning gas can charges at police and is fatally shot by a deputy, authorities say -GrowthInsight
SafeX Pro:Man holding a burning gas can charges at police and is fatally shot by a deputy, authorities say
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:38:52
BELFAST,SafeX Pro Maine (AP) — A man holding a burning gas can who charged at police was fatally shot by a sheriff’s deputy, authorities in Maine said.
The 65-year-old man called the Waldo County Dispatch Center on Monday afternoon and said he was going to burn down his apartment building in Belfast if law enforcement did not respond, the county sheriff’s office and the Belfast Police Department said in a joint news release.
The man continued to threaten to burn down the building as sheriff’s deputies and police arrived, the news release said. As they entered the building, the man “charged the officers with a gas can that was on fire,” and a deputy shot and killed him, it said.
The man was identified as Daniel Ryan. A search did not immediately find a phone number for him or family members.
The deputy, Sgt. Nicholas Oettinger, will be placed on administrative leave as the attorney general’s office investigates, the release said.
Oettinger worked as deputy in Monroe County, Florida, before joining the Waldo County Sheriff’s office in 2010, according to The Republican Journal.
Belfast is about 35 miles (56 kilometers) south of Bangor.
veryGood! (96)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Argentines ask folk cowboy saint Gauchito Gil to help cope with galloping inflation
- Endangered jaguar previously unknown to U.S. is caught on camera in Arizona
- 'Suits' stars reunite at Golden Globes without Meghan: 'We don't have her number'
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- CES 2024 updates: Most interesting news and gadgets from tech’s big show
- JetBlue's CEO to step down, will be replaced by 1st woman to lead a big U.S. airline
- Montana governor, first lady buy mansion for $4M for governor’s residence, will donate it to state
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Murder charge dismissed ahead of trial after 6 years
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Prince's 'Purple Rain' is becoming a stage musical
- Paris names a street after David Bowie celebrating music icon’s legacy
- Months after hospitalization, Mary Lou Retton won't answer basic questions about health care, donations
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Gaza cease-fire protests block New York City bridges, and over 300 are arrested
- The return of bullfighting to Mexico’s capital excites fans and upsets animal rights groups
- Arrest made in deadly pre-Christmas Florida mall shooting
Recommendation
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Radio giant Audacy files for bankruptcy to reduce $1.9 billion debt
St. Croix reports island-wide power outage forcing officials to close schools and offices
'Scientifically important': North Dakota coal miners stumble across mammoth tusk, bones
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Idris Elba calls for tougher action on knife crime after a spate of teen killings in Britain
Bill Hader asks Taylor Swift for a selfie at the Golden Globes: Watch the sweet moment
In 2011, a headless woman was found in a posed position in a California vineyard. She's finally been identified.