Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-Montana governor, first lady buy mansion for $4M for governor’s residence, will donate it to state -GrowthInsight
SignalHub-Montana governor, first lady buy mansion for $4M for governor’s residence, will donate it to state
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 12:17:32
HELENA,SignalHub Mont. (AP) — Montana’s Gov. Greg Gianforte and first lady Susan Gianforte have purchased a historic Helena mansion for $4 million that they eventually plan to donate to the state for use as the governor’s mansion, the governor’s office announced Monday.
Gianforte, a Republican, is a multimillionaire who founded a cloud computing company that sold to Oracle in 2011 in a $1.5 billion deal.
“Susan and I are fortunate to have achieved the American dream, and with that, we believe we have an obligation to give back,” Gianforte said in a statement.
The Hauser House was built in 1885 by Samuel T. Hauser, an entrepreneur and one of Montana’s territorial governors. It was also once owned by former Montana Gov. Tim Babcock.
The nine-bedroom property, which is on the National Register of Historic Homes, was listed for sale for $6.18 million in June. Its assessed value with Lewis and Clark County is nearly $1.36 million.
The Gianfortes purchased the home last week and it will be their primary residence in Helena, his office said.
“Following my service, we will donate this home to the State and the people of Montana,” Gianforte said in a statement.
The existing governor’s mansion has near the Capitol has been closed since 2021 for renovations.
The Legislature has appropriated more than $2 million for the work. The Department of Administration, which maintains the house, said the renovations have been put on hold because of supply chain delays and a worker shortage that kept increasing the costs.
The Department of Administration will decide whether to accept the donated mansion and, if so, what the state would use it for. The agency would also decide what to do with the current governor’s mansion. A spokesperson did not immediately respond to an email Monday seeking comment.
Gianforte “is committed to ensuring future First Families have a governor’s residence that is in good repair, safe, healthy, and family-friendly, all while ensuring the state is a good steward of taxpayer resources,” the statement said.
Gianforte’s first term in office ends in January 2025. He has not said whether he will seek reelection, though he is widely expected to.
veryGood! (752)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- A Denmark terror case has ‘links’ to Hamas, a prosecutor tells local media
- Pakistan says the IMF executive board approved release of $700 million of $3B bailout
- NBA mock draft 3.0: French sensation Alexandre Sarr tops list
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Apple announces release date for Vision Pro: What it costs, how to buy and more
- Wisconsin Senate GOP leader working on income tax cut for families with up to $200,000 in earnings
- Chiefs star Travis Kelce shuts down retirement talk: 'I have no desire to stop'
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Both Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce snag People's Choice Awards nominations
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- What to know about the abdication of Denmark’s Queen Margrethe II
- Taiwan prepares to elect a president and legislature in what’s seen as a test of control with China
- US intensifies oversight of Boeing, will begin production audits after latest mishap for planemaker
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- NHL trade deadline is less than two months away: Which teams could be sellers?
- Popular myths about sleep, debunked
- Pakistan says the IMF executive board approved release of $700 million of $3B bailout
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
Michigan jury acquits former state Rep. Inman at second corruption trial
Here are the ‘Worst in Show’ CES products, according to consumer and privacy advocates
Marvin Harrison's Ohio State football career is over as star receiver enters NFL draft
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
The lawsuit that could shake up the rental market
Michael Strahan's heartbreaking revelation comes with a lesson about privacy. Will we listen?
Passengers file class-action lawsuit against Boeing for Alaska Airlines door blowout