Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:Accountant’s testimony sprawls into a 4th day at Trump business fraud trial in New York -GrowthInsight
Charles Langston:Accountant’s testimony sprawls into a 4th day at Trump business fraud trial in New York
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 13:47:08
NEW YORK (AP) — An accountant who prepared Donald Trump’s financial statements was back on Charles Langstonthe witness stand for a fourth day Thursday in the New York civil fraud trial examining whether the former president exaggerated his wealth.
Trump himself didn’t attend the proceedings Thursday, after choosing to be there — and avail himself of the news cameras waiting outside — for the three prior days.
The business fraud trial stems from New York Attorney General Letitia James’ lawsuit alleging that Trump and his business ginned up financial statements that vastly overvalued Trump Tower, Mar-a-Lago and other assets. Trump denies any wrongdoing and says James, a Democrat, is just trying to damage his 2024 presidential campaign. He’s leading the Republican field.
The non-jury trial concerns allegations of conspiracy, insurance fraud and falsifying business records. James is seeking $250 million in penalties and a ban on Trump doing business in New York.
The witnesses so far have been two accountants who worked on the financial statements, which went to banks, insurers and others.
James’ legal team is working to show that Trump and his company had complete control over the preparation of the statements, with the accountants relying on information the Trump Organization provided.
The defense has been trying to show that if there were problems with the financial statements, the flubs were accountant Donald Bender’s fault. Trump lawyer Jesus M. Suarez on Thursday continued an exacting cross-examination of Bender, who worked on the statements for years.
Judge Arthur Engoron ruled on some other claims before the trial, finding that Trump did engage in fraud by inflating his assets’ worth on the statements.
The ruling, which Trump appealed Wednesday, calls for dissolving the limited liability companies that control Trump Tower and some other prominent holdings and having a receiver operate them. Trump would lose his authority over choosing tenants, hiring or firing employees and other key decisions on those properties.
In an order Thursday, Engoron ordered both sides to submit names of potential receivers by Oct. 26. He also gave Trump and other defendants seven days to provide a list of all entities covered by the ruling. The list will go to a court-appointed monitor, retired federal Judge Barbara Jones.
Engoron, seeking to prevent an end run around his ruling, told the defendants to give Jones advance notice of any application for new business licenses in any jurisdiction and any attempts to create new entities to “hold or acquire the assets” of a company that’s being dissolved under the ruling.
___
Follow Sisak at x.com/mikesisak and send confidential tips by visiting https://www.ap.org/tips.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Starting holiday shopping early? Use Amazon's Buy with Prime to score benefits.
- Samuel Haskell, Son of Hollywood Agent, Arrested in Murder Case After Female Torso Is Found Near Dumpster
- Michigan man in disbelief after winning over $400,000 from state's second chance lottery giveaway
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Arson is behind fire that damaged major section of Los Angeles freeway, Gov. Newsom says
- Virginia woman wins $150,000 after helping someone pay for their items at a 7-Eleven
- Fire that indefinitely closed vital Los Angeles freeway was likely arson, governor says
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Milwaukee Bucks forward Jae Crowder to undergo surgery, miss about 8 weeks
Ranking
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Climate change affects your life in 3 big ways, a new report warns
- How Jason Mraz Healed His “Guilt” Before Coming Out as Bisexual
- RHOSLC's Monica Garcia Fiercely Confronts Mom Linda For Kidnapping Her Car
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Michigan man in disbelief after winning over $400,000 from state's second chance lottery giveaway
- Officials exhume the body of a Mississippi man buried without his family’s knowledge
- Roland Pattillo helped keep Henrietta Lacks' story alive. It's key to his legacy
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
The Supreme Court says it is adopting a code of ethics for the first time
Man, 40, is fatally shot during exchange of gunfire with police in southwestern Michigan
Oregon jury awards man more than $3 million after officer accused him of trying to steal a car
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Patrick Mahomes confirms he has worn the same pair of underwear to every single game of his NFL career
Michigan man in disbelief after winning over $400,000 from state's second chance lottery giveaway
How to double space on Google Docs: Whatever the device, an easy step-by-step guide