Current:Home > ContactFormer state senator accused of spending COVID-19 relief loan on luxury cars -GrowthInsight
Former state senator accused of spending COVID-19 relief loan on luxury cars
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 22:22:05
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A former state senator was accused Wednesday of lying in order to get a COVID-19 relief loan for his casino and using the money to buy luxury cars for himself and his wife, a Republican leader in the New Hampshire House.
The allegations against former Sen. Andy Sanborn were announced by the attorney general’s office, which reviews the owners of charitable gaming businesses every five years. Sanborn owns the Concord Casino within The Draft Sports Bar and Grill in Concord and is seeking to open a much larger venue a few miles away, but the state lottery commission is now moving to permanently ban him from operating any such business.
The commission gave Sanborn 10 days to request a hearing. In the meantime, federal authorities have been notified, and the state has begun a criminal investigation, said Attorney General John Formella.
“This case highlights the importance of law enforcement’s role in keeping illegal activity out of New Hampshire’s charitable gaming industry,” he said in a statement. “Our obligation to protect the public demands that we take action against any person who is found to have used their regulated casino to enrich themselves with fraudulently obtained taxpayer funds.”
Sanborn, of Bedford, served four terms in the state Senate before unsuccessfully running for Congress in 2018. His wife, Laurie Sanborn, is in her 7th term in the House, where she serves as speaker pro tempore and chair of the Ways and Means Committee. Neither responded to emails seeking comment Wednesday; Laurie Sanborn’s phone was not accepting new voicemail messages.
According to the investigation, Sanborn fraudulently obtained $844,000 in funding from the Small Business Administration between December 2021 and February 2022. Casinos and charitable gaming facilities weren’t eligible for such loans, but Sanborn omitted his business name, “Concord Casino,” from his application and listed his primary business activity as “miscellaneous services.”
He’s accused of spending $181,000 on two Porsche race cars and $80,000 on a Ferrari for his wife. Sanborn also paid himself more than $183,000 for what he characterized as rent for his Concord properties, the attorney general said.
In June, the Concord Planning Board approved his proposal to build a 24,000-square-foot (2,230-square-meter) casino and restaurant, with the possibility of adding a hotel and event center. According to the Concord Monitor, the board had been considering the proposal for months when Sanborn forced a vote despite some members’ concerns about a lack of public vetting.
Rep. Matt Wilhelm, the House Democratic leader, said the attorney general’s report was deeply concerning and called on House Speaker Sherm Packard to remove Laurie Sanborn from a commission studying charitable gaming laws. House Republican leaders did not respond to a request for comment.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Florida sheriff’s office fires deputy who fatally shot Black airman at home
- Columbus Crew hopes altitude training evens the odds in Concacaf Champions Cup final
- Retired Navy admiral arrested in bribery case linked to government contract
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Donald Trump’s attorney says he was shocked the former president took the verdict with ‘solemness’
- A strong economy means more Americans are earning $400K. What's it mean for their taxes?
- What's next after Trump's conviction in his hush money trial? How he might appeal the verdict
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are equal parts ribbing and respect ahead of summer tour
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Brittany Mahomes Shares Fitness Secret That Helped Her Prepare for SI Swimsuit in One Week
- Oregon defendants without a lawyer must be released from jail, US appeals court says
- Marian Robinson, the mother of Michelle Obama who lived in the White House, dies at 86
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Will Smith makes rare red-carpet outing with Jada Pinkett Smith, 3 children: See photos
- Daughter of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt files court petition to remove father’s last name
- Olympic gold medal wrestler Gable Steveson signing with Buffalo Bills
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
U.S. to make millions of bird flu vaccine doses this summer, as cases grow
Teen Mom's Maci Bookout Reveals How She and Ryan Edwards Finally Learned to Co-Parent
Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Kyle Richards Shares Affordable Outdoor Entertaining Essentials
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Romance Writers of America files for bankruptcy after tumultuous split spurred by racism allegations
Nelly Korda among shocking number of big names who miss cut at 2024 U.S. Women's Open
USWNT transformation under Emma Hayes begins. Don't expect overnight changes