Current:Home > MarketsJudge temporarily halts removal of Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery -GrowthInsight
Judge temporarily halts removal of Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:13:21
A federal judge temporarily halted the removal of the Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery on Monday.
U.S. District Judge Rossie Alston Jr. issued the order on Monday after workers had begun working on the removal that was slated to be completed by the end of the week.
On Sunday, the group Defend Arlington, an affiliate of Save Southern Heritage Florida, filed the emergency motion asking for the pause arguing that the removal of the monument would disturb gravesites.
“Plaintiffs have made the necessary showing that they are entitled to a temporary restraining order pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 65(b) to preserve the status quo pending a decision by the Court on the merits of this action,” Alston’s order reads.
The order temporarily bars the Department of Defense from “taking any acts to deconstruct, tear down, remove, or alter the object of this case." A hearing on the case is scheduled for Wednesday.
'100 years of difficult work':Richmond removes final public Confederate monument
Confederate memorial removal
On Saturday, Arlington National Cemetery announced that safety fencing had been installed around the memorial and officials expected it to be completely removed by Friday. According to a news release, the landscape, graves and headstones surrounding the memorial will be protected while the monument is taken down.
"During the deconstruction, the area around the Memorial will be protected to ensure no impact to the surrounding landscape and grave markers and to ensure the safety of visitors in and around the vicinity of the deconstruction," the cemetery news release said.
The removal part of a national effort to get rid of confederate symbols from military-related spaces was slated to go ahead despite pushback from some Republican lawmakers.
Last week, 44 lawmakers, led by Georgia Republican Rep. Andrew Clyde wrote a letter to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin demanding the Reconciliation Monument be kept, Fox News reported.
Clyde said the monument, “does not honor nor commemorate the Confederacy; the memorial commemorates reconciliation and national unity.”
In a September 2022 report to Congress, an independent commission recommended the removal of the monument, which was unveiled in 1914 and designed by a Confederate veteran. The memorial "offers a nostalgic, mythologized vision of the Confederacy, including highly sanitized depictions of slavery," according to Arlington National Cemetery.
veryGood! (798)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Rio de Janeiro’s security forces launch raids in 3 favelas to target criminals
- 'I just want her back': Israeli mom worries daughter taken hostage by Hamas militants
- Gal Gadot supports Israel amid Palestinian conflict, Bruno Mars cancels Tel Aviv show
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Georgia officers say suspect tried to run over deputy before he was shot in arm and run off the road
- WNBA star Candace Parker 'nervous' to reintroduce herself in new documentary: 'It's scary'
- The auto workers’ strike enters its 4th week. The union president urges members to keep up the fight
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Saudi Arabia formally informs FIFA of its wish to host the 2034 World Cup as the favorite to win
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- A man was given a 72-year-old egg with a message on it. Social media users helped him find the writer.
- Bills LB Matt Milano sustains knee injury in 1st-quarter pileup, won’t return vs Jaguars
- Stock market today: Markets steady in Asia after Israel declares war following Hamas attack in Gaza
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Shania Twain joins Foo Fighters at Austin City Limits Music Festival: 'Take it, Shania!'
- A man was given a 72-year-old egg with a message on it. Social media users helped him find the writer.
- Is cayenne pepper good for you? The spice might surprise you.
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
A surge in rail traffic on North Korea-Russia border suggests arms supply to Russia, think tank says
Bill Belichick's reign over the NFL is officially no more as Patriots hit rock bottom
Saudi Arabia formally informs FIFA of its wish to host the 2034 World Cup as the favorite to win
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
California Gov. Gavin Newsom vetoes bill aimed at limiting the price of insulin
Flights at Hamburg Airport in Germany suspended after a threat against a plane from Iran
Dodgers on the ropes after Clayton Kershaw gets rocked in worst outing of his career