Current:Home > NewsAustralian government hopes to rush laws that could detain dangerous migrants -GrowthInsight
Australian government hopes to rush laws that could detain dangerous migrants
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:52:23
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — The Australian government hopes to rush legislation through Parliament on Wednesday that could place behind bars some of the migrants freed after the High Court ruled their indefinite detention was unconstitutional.
The Senate on Tuesday passed draft legislation that would create so-called community safety orders.
Immigration Minister Andrew Giles would be able to apply to a judge to imprison migrants with criminal records for violent or sexual offenses because they pose an unacceptable risk to the public.
“We’ve already begun preparations to ensure that we can do all that we can as quickly as we can.” Giles told reporters.
Giles declined to say how many of the 148 freed migrants who for various reasons can’t be deported might be detained under community safety orders.
Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil urged opposition lawmakers not to delay the legislation passing the House of Representatives on Wednesday by proposing amendments that could be unconstitutional.
But opposition immigration spokesperson Dan Tehan said amendments might be needed to ensure more migrants were detained. “The government needs to act to make sure that it’s continuing to make every effort to deport these people,” Tehan said.
Amnesty International refugee rights adviser Graham Thom said he was alarmed that the government was rushing through the legislation without appropriate parliamentary scrutiny.
The group urged a delay “to allow for proper scrutiny of this important, highly consequential new law,” Thom said in a statement.
“A sensible conversation is needed when balancing community safety with personal liberty. This is not a time for knee jerk responses,” Thom added.
The High Court on Nov. 8 ruled the indefinite detention of a stateless Myanmar Rohingya man who had been convicted of raping a 10-year-old boy was unconstitutional.
Government lawyers say the judges left open the option for such migrants to be detained if they pose a public risk. That decision would be made by a judge rather than a government minister.
The ruling said the government could no longer indefinitely detain foreigners who had been refused Australian visas, but could not be deported to their homelands and no third country would accept them.
Most of the 148 that have been released on the basis of the High Court ruling have been ordered to wear ankle tracking bracelets and to stay home during nightly curfews.
Three of the freed migrants have been rearrested. One with a criminal record for violent sexual assault was charged with the indecent assault of a woman. Another was charged with breaching his reporting obligations as a registered sex offender, and a third man was charged with drug possession.
veryGood! (77685)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Lala Kent Shares Baby Girl Turned Purple and Was Vomiting After Challenging Birth
- US home sales fell in August despite easing mortgage rates, more homes on the market
- Christina Ricci Accuses Her Dad of Being Failed Cult Leader
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 'Sacred': Cherokee name in, Confederate general out for Tennessee's highest mountain
- Indiana woman pleads guilty to hate crime after stabbing Asian American college student
- Milwaukee’s new election chief knows her office is under scrutiny, but she’s ready
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Gun violence data in Hawaii is incomplete – and unreliable
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Are remote workers really working all day? No. Here's what they're doing instead.
- Hackers demand $6 million for files stolen from Seattle airport operator in cyberattack
- Demolition to begin on long-troubled St. Louis jail
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Pennsylvania state senator sues critics of his book about WWI hero Sgt. York
- Detroit suburbs sue to try to stop the shipment of radioactive soil from New York
- 'STOP!' Meet the humble heroes keeping kids safe every school day
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Blue's Clues Host Steve Burns Addresses Death Hoax
Video shows masked robbers plunging through ceiling to steal $150,000 from Atlanta business
Senate panel OKs action against Steward Health Care CEO for defying subpoena
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Country Singer Zach Bryan Apologizes Amid Backlash Over Taylor Swift and Kanye West Tweet
Get a Designer Michael Kors $498 Handbag for $99 & More Luxury Deals Under $100
Powerball winning numbers for September 18: Jackpot rises to $176 million