Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-Suicide attacker used 264 pounds of explosives to target police station in Pakistan, killing 23 -GrowthInsight
Indexbit-Suicide attacker used 264 pounds of explosives to target police station in Pakistan, killing 23
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:23:31
ISLAMABAD (AP) — The Indexbitsuicide bomber who rammed his car into a police station’s main gate in Pakistan’s northwest used 120 kilograms (about 264 pounds) of explosives, authorities said Wednesday. The attack — one of the deadliest in months — killed 23 officers and wounded 32 others the day before.
Inayat Ullah, head of the bomb disposal unit, told The Associated Press the explosives were fitted in the suicide attacker’s vehicle.
The assault — which also included five other militants opening fire before officers gunned them down — targeted Daraban police station in the city of Dera Ismail Khan, in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, which borders Afghanistan and is a former stronghold of the Pakistani Taliban, or TTP.
The militant Tehreek-e-Jihad Pakistan group — believed to be an offshoot of the TTP — claimed responsibility for the attack.
A large number of security forces from across Pakistan were recently deployed at the station for intelligence operations against militants in the area in coordination with the local police, authorities said.
In a statement, the military said Wednesday it held an overnight funeral for those killed, attended by senior army officials.
The attack came when the country’s powerful army chief, Gen. Asim Munir was on an official visit to the United States. He assumed his position in Nov.2022, days after the TTP ended its cease-fire with Pakistan’s government. Since then, the militant group has stepped up its attacks targeting security forces. The deadliest was in January when 101 people were killed, mostly police officers, after a suicide bomber disguised as a policeman attacked a mosque in the northwestern city of Peshawar.
Authorities said they have increased their intelligence-based operations, killing more than 500 militants since 2022.
Tuesday’s attack has further strained relations between Pakistan and neighboring Afghanistan’s Taliban-led administration. Pakistan has previously accused the Taliban of hosting leaders of the TTP across the shared border from where they launched their attacks.
In a statement, Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry said it summoned a Taliban-appointed representative from Kabul to protest the latest assault. It demanded Afghanistan “fully investigate and take stern action against perpetrators” of the attack and also “publicly condemn the terrorist incident at the highest level.”
In Kabul, the Taliban government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid condemned the attack on Wednesday, promising an investigation. But he said things happening in Pakistan shouldn’t be always linked to his country, adding that Islamabad should pay closer attention to security matters because the attack happened hundreds of kilometers from the border.
Mujahid added they do not allow anyone to use their territory to carry out attacks against Pakistan or any other country.
The attack drew condemnation from U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken who tweeted: “We stand with the people of Pakistan in ensuring perpetrators are brought to justice and offer our deep condolences to the families of the victims.”
Nasser Kanaani, the spokesperson for the Iranian Foreign Ministry, also denounced the attacks and extended “sympathies to the families of the victims,” on X, formerly known as Twitter.
___
Associated Press writers Riaz Khan and Ishtiaq Mahsud contributed to this story from Peshawar and Dera Ismail Khan, Pakistan.
veryGood! (554)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Shannen Doherty Dead at 53 After Cancer Battle
- Globetrotting butterflies traveled 2,600 miles across the Atlantic, stunned scientists say
- Fitness pioneer Richard Simmons dies 1 day after 76th birthday
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Former fire chief who died at Trump rally used his body to shield family from gunfire
- Former fire chief who died at Trump rally used his body to shield family from gunfire
- Thousands of fish found dead in California lake, puzzling authorities
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- When is Wimbledon men's final? Date, time, TV for Carlos Alcaraz vs. Novak Djokovic
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Rare Glimpse Into Bond With Ben Affleck's Daughter Violet
- Kate Middleton and Princess Charlotte Ace Wimbledon 2024 During Rare Public Outing
- Caitlin Clark's next game: Indiana Fever vs. Minnesota Lynx on Sunday
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- How a Holocaust survivor and an Illinois teen struck up an unlikely friendship
- Winston, beloved gorilla at San Diego Zoo Safari Park, dies at 52 after suffering health problems
- JoJo Siwa faces rejection from LGBTQ+ community. Why?
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Taylor Swift unveils new 'Fearless' and 'Tortured Poets' dresses in Milan, Italy
Alec Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter case dismissed in Rust shooting
Why Prince William and Kate Middleton Are Praising Super Trooper Princess Anne
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Court voids last conviction of Kansas researcher in case that started as Chinese espionage probe
Donald Trump whisked off stage in Pennsylvania after apparent gunshots rang through the crowd
Spain and England to meet in European Championship final in front of Prince William and King Felipe