Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-6-year-old Virginia student brings loaded gun to school, sheriff's office investigating -GrowthInsight
Charles H. Sloan-6-year-old Virginia student brings loaded gun to school, sheriff's office investigating
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:24:45
A 6-year-old Virginia student took a gun to school Monday and Charles H. Sloaninvestigators are trying to figure out how the child got ahold of the weapon, according to authorities.
The incident happened at Orange Elementary School, about 29 miles northeast of Charlottesville, the Orange County Sheriff's Office shared on Facebook Monday afternoon.
A school staff member contacted an Orange County Sheriff’s Office School Resource Officer at 12:50 p.m. that day about a loaded firearm found inside the school. The school was then placed in safe school mode, the sheriff’s office shared online.
The sheriff’s office said the firearm was found inside a backpack, so the school resource officer and a school administrator took the backpack.
Investigators announced later that afternoon that the 6-year-old student brought the firearm to school, where an instructional assistant found the gun.
No one was hurt, and no threats were made, the sheriff’s office said.
The Orange County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating but said no arrests have been made so far.
“The safety and security of our students and school staff remain our top priority,” the sheriff’s office said. “Out of an abundance of caution we will have additional law enforcement at the school for the remainder of today and tomorrow.”
School shooting investigation:911 calls from Georgia school shooting released
Superintendent says situation was handled in a ‘swift, professional’ manner
Superintendent of Orange County Public Schools Dan Hornick released a statement to community members online, calling the ordeal “distressing.”
“It is important to recognize and appreciate the swift, professional, and thorough steps taken by the staff members and administrators at Orange Elementary School,” Hornick wrote in his statement. “Their diligence prevented the situation from escalating.”
He also thanked the sheriff’s office for working with the school.
Later in his statement, Hornick said he wanted to note how the school system could grow in situations like this. According to the superintendent, the school went into Safe School Mode, where classrooms are secured, and law enforcement and school administrators investigate.
The goal during Safe School Mode and other school status changes is to let parents and guardians know what’s going on as soon as possible, Hornick said.
“Unfortunately, this type of notification was not sent to the OES community today,” he said, adding that he wanted to apologize for the “error.”
Similar situations have arisen throughout the country this past year, including a Sept. 4 shooting in Georgia where a student killed four at Apalachee High School.
Hornick, the superintendent of Orange County Public Schools, asked that “in light of recent events across our country … all parents and guardians exercise even greater diligence in ensuring that students do not bring weapons or other dangerous items to school.”
He added that he has two children attending schools in Orange County and said he plans to check his own children’s bags more frequently and talk to them more about school safety.
“By working together, we can provide the safe and dynamic learning environment our students deserve,” he said. “Thank you for your continued support, even under difficult circumstances.”
Contributing: Jeanine Santucci
Saleen Martin is a reporter on USA TODAY's NOW team. She is from Norfolk, Virginia – the 757. Follow her on Twitter at@SaleenMartin or email her at[email protected].
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Where to watch 'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown'
- After Israel's expected Gaza invasion, David Petraeus says there needs to be a vision for what happens next
- Michael Caine reveals he is retiring from acting after false announcement in 2021
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Lionel Messi scores 2 in Argentina’s World Cup qualifying win over Peru; Brazil’s Neymar injured
- What are the laws of war, and how do they apply to the Israel-Gaza conflict?
- University of Wisconsin leaders to close 2 more branch campuses due to declining enrollment
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Guatemala Cabinet minister steps down after criticism for not acting forcefully against protesters
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Autoworkers used to have lifelong health care and pension income. They want it back
- Europe is looking to fight the flood of Chinese electric vehicles. But Europeans love them
- Nearly 200 decomposing bodies removed from funeral home
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- FDA proposes ban on hair-straightening, smoothing products over cancer-causing chemicals
- Staying in on Halloween? Here’s Everything You Need for a Spooky Night at Home
- Republicans and Democrats agree on one thing: The Afghan war wasn’t worth it, AP-NORC poll shows
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Rafah crossing: Why are people, aid stuck at Egypt-Gaza border?
Ever heard of ghost kitchens? These virtual restaurants are changing the delivery industry
Las Vegas police officer gets 12 years in prison for casino robberies netting $165,000
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
UK national, South African and local guide killed in an attack near a Ugandan national park
Dozens of WWII shipwrecks from Operation Dynamo identified in Dunkirk channel: It's quite an emotional feeling
Ford chair bashes UAW for escalating strike, says Ford is not the enemy — Toyota, Honda and Tesla are