Current:Home > MyTradeEdge Exchange:Truckers suing to block New York’s congestion fee for Manhattan drivers -GrowthInsight
TradeEdge Exchange:Truckers suing to block New York’s congestion fee for Manhattan drivers
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 20:10:39
NEW YORK (AP) — Add truckers to the list of opponents seeking to block New York’s first-in-the-nation congestion fee for driving into Manhattan.
The TradeEdge ExchangeTrucking Association of New York filed a federal lawsuit Thursday against the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which developed the toll scheme, arguing the higher fees unfairly and unconstitutionally target the trucking industry. The trucking association’s lawsuit is among at least eight seeking to block the congestion fee plan, which is slated to launch June 30.
Under the transit authority’s plan, trucks would be subject to a charge of $24 or $36 per trip, depending on their size. Most drivers in private passenger cars, in contrast, should expect to pay about $15, with lower rates for motorcycles and late-night entries into the city, according to the proposal finalized in March.
Kendra Hems, the trucking association’s president, said the industry will have no choice but to shoulder the increased costs, as truck operators don’t have flexibility on their driving routes or schedules, which are generally set by the businesses they serve.
That, she said, will only lead to price increases on countless goods, as the trucking industry moves nearly 90% of products in New York City.
“As any responsible business does, we deliver when our customers ask us to deliver, which is during prime business hours,” said Joe Fitzpatrick, founder of Lightning Express Delivery Service and a member of the trucking association’s board. “That will not change now, but what will change is higher costs for New Yorkers as a result.”
The association suggests that the transit authority revise its plan to exempt the industry from the fee, limit trucks to being tolled just once a day or toll them at the same rate as passenger vehicles.
A spokesperson for the MTA declined to comment on the suit Thursday.
A Manhattan federal court judge earlier this month heard arguments in lawsuits brought by unionized public school teachers, politicians and other New Yorkers.
In New Jersey, a federal court judge has also heard arguments in legal challenges brought by New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich and others.
Many of those lawsuits argue the tolling scheme was approved by federal transportation officials without proper scrutiny and the court should order transit officials to conduct a more comprehensive environmental study before rolling out the plan.
Both judges have not yet ruled in the cases.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (1823)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Watch: Cubs' Christopher Morel rips jersey off rounding bases in epic walk-off celebration
- Musician Camela Leierth-Segura, Who Co-Wrote Katy Perry Song, Missing for Nearly 2 Months: Authorities
- The Gaza Strip gets its first cat cafe, a cozy refuge from life under blockade
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- After more than 30 years, justice for 17-year-old Massachusetts girl shot to death
- 3 dead from rare bacterial infection in New York area. What to know about Vibrio vulnificus.
- Maui fire survivor blindly headed toward Lahaina blaze: Fear and panic that I have never experienced before
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Jets assistant coach Tony Oden hospitalized after 'friendly fire' during practice skirmish
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Rory McIlroy, Brian Harman, Grandma Susie highlight first round at 2023 BMW Championship
- Kevin Federline's Lawyer Weighs In On Britney Spears and Sam Asghari's Breakup
- Maui fire survivor blindly headed toward Lahaina blaze: Fear and panic that I have never experienced before
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Authorities charge 10 current and former California police officers in corruption case
- Maui official defends his decision not to activate sirens amid wildfires: I do not regret it
- Spam, a staple in Hawaii, is sending 265,000 cans of food to Maui after the wildfires: We see you and love you.
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Composer Bernstein’s children defend Bradley Cooper’s prosthetic nose after ‘Maestro’ is criticized
Rudy Giuliani's former colleagues reflect on his path from law-and-order champion to RICO defendant: A tragedy
Colts star Jonathan Taylor 'excused' from training camp due to 'personal matter'
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
New York City officially bans TikTok on all government devices
Alec Baldwin could again face charges in Rust shooting as new gun analysis says trigger had to be pulled
Buffalo mass shooting survivors sue social media, gun industry for allowing 'racist attack'