Current:Home > ContactFormer NRA chief says appointing a financial monitor would be ‘putting a knife’ into the gun group -GrowthInsight
Former NRA chief says appointing a financial monitor would be ‘putting a knife’ into the gun group
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:00:56
NEW YORK (AP) — The former head of the National Rifle Association, Wayne LaPierre, told a New York judge on Monday that the appointment of an independent monitor to oversee the gun rights group’s finances would be “equivalent to putting a knife straight through the heart of the organization and twisting it.”
LaPierre’s forceful opposition to the oversight mechanism came on the final day of arguments in the second phase of a civil case that New York Attorney General Letitia James brought against the NRA.
A jury found LaPierre and another deputy liable for misspending millions of dollars in February, and James is seeking an independent monitor to oversee the powerful group’s finances and bar LaPierre, the organization’s mouthpiece for decades, from returning to the NRA.
In brief testimony Monday, LaPierre described the appointment of a monitor as an existential threat to the group because it would send a message to prospective members and donors that the NRA was “being surveilled by this attorney general in New York that they think has crossed a line.”
If the monitor is appointed, he said, “General James will have achieved her objective to fulfill that campaign promise of, in effect, dissolving the NRA for a lack of money and a lack of members.”
LaPierre also told the judge that a ban on his involvement in the NRA would violate his First Amendment rights by preventing him from “being a voice for this organization in terms of its political advocacy.”
LaPierre served as the group’s CEO and executive vice president for more than three decades. He resigned in January on the eve of the first phase of the trial.
Those proceedings cast a spotlight on the leadership, culture and financing of the organization, with state lawyers accusing LaPierre of siphoning millions of dollars from the organization to fund his lavish lifestyle, including trips on private jets and other personal gifts.
The jury ordered LaPierre to repay almost $4.4 million to the organization, while the NRA’s retired finance chief, Wilson “Woody” Phillips, was ordered to pay back $2 million.
The second phase of the proceeding is a bench trial, meaning there is no jury and the judge will hand down the verdict. The decision is expected to come as soon as Monday.
Earlier this month, Jeffrey Tenenbaum, a lawyer testifying for the state as an expert in nonprofit law, said the NRA had made some strides toward transparency but could backslide without the appointment of an independent monitor. He described the organization’s policy manual as “a dumpster fire.”
James sued the NRA and its executives in 2020 under her authority to investigate not-for-profits registered in the state. She originally sought to have the entire organization dissolved, but the judge ruled in 2022 that the allegations did not warrant a “corporate death penalty.”
“For years, Wayne LaPierre used charitable dollars to fund his lavish lifestyle, spending millions on luxury travel, expensive clothes, insider contracts, and other perks for himself and his family,” James said in a statement. “LaPierre and senior leaders at the NRA blatantly abused their positions and broke the law.”
veryGood! (3)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- 79-year-old Alabama woman arrested after city worker presses charges over dispute at council meeting
- Lawyers for Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger visit crime scene ahead of planned demolition
- Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Stars Have a Full Cast Reunion That Will Lift Your Spirits
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- WWE star Liv Morgan arrested in Florida on marijuana possession charge
- Woman charged with stealing truck filled with 10,000 Krispy Kreme doughnuts after 2 weeks on the run in Australia
- Teddy Bridgewater to retire after the season, still impacting lives as 'neighborhood hero'
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- AP’s Lawrence Knutson, who covered Washington’s transcendent events for nearly 4 decades, has died
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Homelessness in America reaches record level amid rising rents and end of COVID aid
- Over 60 drown in a migrant vessel off Libya while trying to reach Europe, UN says
- Melania Trump says her experience with immigration process opened my eyes to the harsh realities people face
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Houthis launch more drone attacks as shipping companies suspend Red Sea operations
- Quaker Oats recalls some granola bars and cereals nationwide over salmonella risk
- The FDA is investigating whether lead in applesauce pouches was deliberately added
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Steelers' Damontae Kazee ejected for hit that gives Colts WR Michael Pittman concussion
Senators eye border deal framework as early as Sunday, though parole policy remains sticking point
79-year-old Alabama woman arrested after city worker presses charges over dispute at council meeting
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
A vibrant art scene in Uganda mirrors African boom as more collectors show interest
Lions on brink of first playoff appearance since 2016 after blasting Broncos
Britain says a Royal Navy ship has shot down an attack drone over the Red Sea