Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Gunman in Maine's deadliest mass shooting, Robert Card, had significant evidence of brain injuries, analysis shows -GrowthInsight
Will Sage Astor-Gunman in Maine's deadliest mass shooting, Robert Card, had significant evidence of brain injuries, analysis shows
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 00:06:32
Augusta,Will Sage Astor Maine — Robert Card, the Army reservist who shot and killed 18 people in Maine last year, had significant evidence of traumatic brain injuries, according to a brain tissue analysis by researchers from Boston University that was released Wednesday.
There was degeneration in the nerve fibers that enable communication between different areas of the brain, inflammation and small blood vessel injury, according to Dr. Ann McKee of Boston University's Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) Center. The analysis was released by Card's family.
Card had been an instructor at an Army hand grenade training range, where it is believed he was exposed to thousands of low-level blasts.
"While I cannot say with certainty that these pathological findings underlie Mr. Card's behavioral changes in the last 10 months of life, based on our previous work, brain injury likely played a role in his symptoms," McKee said in the statement from the family.
Card's family members also apologized for the attack in the statement, saying they are heartbroken for the victims, survivors and their loved ones.
Army officials will testify Thursday before a special commission investigating the deadliest mass shooting in Maine history.
The commission, established by Democratic Gov. Janet Mills, is reviewing the facts surrounding the Oct. 25 shootings that killed 18 people in a bowling alley and at a restaurant and bar in Lewiston. The panel, which includes former judges and prosecutors, is also reviewing the police response to the shootings.
Police and the Army were both warned that shooter, Card, was suffering from deteriorating mental health in the months that preceded the shootings.
Some of the 40-year-old Card's relatives warned police that he was displaying paranoid behavior and they were concerned about his access to guns. Body camera video of police interviews with reservists before Card's two-week hospitalization in upstate New York last summer also showed fellow reservists expressing worry and alarm about his behavior and weight loss.
Card was hospitalized in July after he shoved a fellow reservist and locked himself in a motel room during training. Later, in September, a fellow reservist told an Army superior he was concerned Card was going to "snap and do a mass shooting."
Card was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after the biggest search in state history. Victims' families, politicians, gun control advocates and others have said in the months since the shootings that law enforcement missed several opportunities to intercede and remove guns from Card. They've also raised questions about the state's mental health system.
Thursday's hearing in Augusta is the seventh and final one currently slated for the commission. Commission chair Daniel Wathen said at a hearing with victims earlier this week that an interim report could be released by April 1.
Wathen said during the session with victims that the commission's hearings have been critical to unraveling the case.
"This was a great tragedy for you folks, unbelievable," Wathen said during Monday's hearing. "But I think has affected everybody in Maine and beyond."
In previous hearings, law enforcement officials have defended the approach they took with Card in the months before the shootings. Members of the Sagadahoc County Sheriff's Office testified that the state's yellow flag law makes it difficult to remove guns from a potentially dangerous person.
Democrats in Maine are looking to make changes to the state's gun laws in the wake of the shootings. Mills wants to change state law to allow law enforcement to go directly to a judge to seek a protective custody warrant to take a dangerous person into custody to remove weapons.
Other Democrats in Maine have proposed a 72-hour waiting period for most gun purchases. Gun control advocates held a rally for gun safety in Augusta earlier this week.
"Gun violence represents a significant public health emergency. It's through a combination of meaningful gun safety reform and public health investment that we can best keep our communities safe," said Nacole Palmer, executive director of the Maine Gun Safety Coalition.
- In:
- Mass Shootings
- Mass Shooting
- Maine
veryGood! (14)
Related
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Germans commemorate ‘Night of Broken Glass’ terror as antisemitism is on the rise again
- Thousands fall ill in eastern Pakistan due to heavy smog, forcing closure of schools, markets, parks
- Clash between Constitutional and appeals courts raises concerns over rule of law in Turkey
- Sam Taylor
- Scott Boras tells MLB owners to 'take heed': Free agents win World Series titles
- Zac Efron would be 'honored' to play Matthew Perry in a biopic
- Profits slip at Japan’s Sony, hit by lengthy Hollywood strike
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- The Best Gifts For Runners On The Trail, Treadmill & Beyond
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Wynonna Judd on opening CMA Awards performance with rising star Jelly Roll: 'It's an honor'
- Giannis Antetokounmpo couldn't believe he was ejected from Bucks' win over Pistons
- Patrick Dempsey named Sexiest Man Alive by People magazine: I'm glad it's happening at this point in my life
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- The man charged in last year’s attack against Nancy Pelosi’s husband goes to trial in San Francisco
- Donald Trump’s lawyers ask judge to end civil fraud trial, seeking verdict in ex-president’s favor
- Nearly half of Democrats disapprove of Biden’s response to the Israel-Hamas war, AP-NORC poll shows
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Justice Department opens civil rights probe into Lexington Police Department in Mississippi
Stock market today: Asian shares mostly higher after China reports that prices fell in October
Alex Galchenyuk video: NHL player threatens officers, utters racial slurs in bodycam footage
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
National institute will build on New Hampshire’s recovery-friendly workplace program
Video chat service Omegle shuts down following years of user abuse claims
The Excerpt podcast: GOP candidates get fiery in third debate