Current:Home > MarketsLawsuit alleges FEMA has delayed compensation for victims of worst wildfire in New Mexico’s history -GrowthInsight
Lawsuit alleges FEMA has delayed compensation for victims of worst wildfire in New Mexico’s history
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 15:23:14
SANTA FE. N.M. (AP) — A new lawsuit has been filed against the Federal Emergency Management Agency, alleging compensation has been delayed for victims of the largest wildfire in New Mexico’s recorded history.
FEMA is responsible for doling out funds to people who suffered losses in the Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Fire that began as two prescribed burns set by the U.S. Forest Service in January and April 2022 in northern New Mexico.
The blazes combined and burned about 341,000 acres (532 square miles) in the mountains east of Santa Fe, destroying hundreds of homes and displacing thousands of residents in rural villages throughout the area.
The federal government set aside nearly $4 billion last year to pay claims related to the wildfire.
FEMA officials said as of last month, the agency had paid $276 million to 880 claimants who suffered losses.
The Santa Fe New Mexican reported Wednesday that the latest lawsuit involving the devastating wildfire was filed by 15 claimants who say FEMA officials misrepresented claim deadlines and has failed to process claims within a required 180-day time frame.
The plaintiffs said FEMA has “unilaterally decided” the 180-day period to notify claimants of a compensation offer starts not when a claim is submitted but after the federal agency has “acknowledged” the claim, which can be as long as five months after it was filed.
FEMA’s New Mexico information center declined to comment on the lawsuit, but it said it had identified a flaw in its reporting system that affected the timeline management of some cases.
“We are addressing the issue and are calling the parties involved to notify them and discuss available steps to process their claims as quickly as possible,” Claims Office officials said in a statement to the New Mexican.
The newspaper said the plaintiffs’ collective claims total nearly $17 million in losses.
veryGood! (87)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Blac Chyna Gets Her Facial Fillers Dissolved After Breast and Butt Reduction Surgery
- Mexico vows to continue accepting non-Mexican migrants deported by U.S. border agents
- How the polarizing effect of social media is speeding up
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Riverdale Final Season Sneak Peek: Cole Sprouse, Lili Reinhart and the Gang Are Stuck in the 1950s
- Ellen Star Sophia Grace Cuddles Her Newborn Baby Boy in Sweet Video
- Fire Up the Grill, a Good Burger Sequel With Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell Is Actually Happening
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Serbia school shooting leaves 8 students and a guard dead as teen student held as suspect
Ranking
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Who was behind the explosions in Crimea? Ukraine and Russia aren't saying
- Twitter may have hired a Chinese spy and four other takeaways from the Senate hearing
- How to protect your privacy when using mental health care apps
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- COVID global health emergency is officially ending, WHO says, but warns virus remains a risk
- Why Women Everywhere Love Kim Kardashian's SKIMS
- King Charles III's coronation ceremony televised in the U.S.
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
The explosion at Northeastern University may have been staged, officials say
King Charles' coronation in pictures: See the latest photos of the pageantry
The Kopari Sun Shield Body Glow Sunscreen That Sold Out Many Times Is 50% Off Today Only
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
A former CIA engineer is convicted in a massive theft of secrets released by WikiLeaks
Gun applicants in New York will have to submit their social accounts for review
Netflix loses nearly 1 million subscribers. That's the good news