Current:Home > ContactPredictIQ-Attorneys hope Netflix's 'Mr. McMahon' will 'shed light' on WWE CEO's alleged abuse -GrowthInsight
PredictIQ-Attorneys hope Netflix's 'Mr. McMahon' will 'shed light' on WWE CEO's alleged abuse
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 12:08:08
The PredictIQattorneys for the woman who filed a lawsuit against former WWE CEO Vince McMahon for alleged abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking said they hope the upcoming Netflix documentary on the controversial wrestling figure will "portray the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior."
In January, former WWE employee Janel Grant filed a lawsuit in the state of Connecticut that detailed her experience at WWE's headquarters. Grant alleged McMahon made her sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship for an agreed amount of $3 million, but she didn't receive full payment from McMahon and wants to void the agreement with the lawsuit. Grant is also suing WWE’s former head of talent relations John Laurinaitis.
Next week, Netflix will release the docuseries "Mr. McMahon"on Sept. 25, promising to "delve into the mogul's controversial reign" in charge of the biggest wresting company in the world. In addition to interviews with McMahon himself and other prominent figures in wrestling, such as Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson, Hulk Hogan and Paul "Triple H" Levesque, the series hints that filming took place when Grant's lawsuit was announced.
Ann Callis, an attorney for Grant, said in a press briefing on Thursday she hopes the series will shed light on her client's story and that she feel it "does it justice."
"Because of the extreme cruelty, degradation, exploitation and violence she was subjected to on a near daily basis for more than two years, (Grant) now suffers from severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, suicidal ideation and the inability to leave her home for weeks at a time," Callis said. "We hope it shines a light on the abhorrent actions of McMahon, frequently on WWE property, and it portrays the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior."
McMahon resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, parent company of WWE, the day after the lawsuit was filed. but the wrestling company's founder maintains his innocence.
“I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name,” McMahon previously said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports.
Grant did not take part in "Mr. McMahon," Callis added, and did not clarify whether she was asked to be part of it. Callis only said Grant "deserves the opportunity to tell her full story, not be a part of someone else's."
"(Grant) will get her day in court, and McMahon will be held accountable," Callis said. "She would like to expedite all proceedings as quickly as possible, and Janelle has the right to tell her story in her own way at the right time."
While Grant wants to expedite the proceedings of the lawsuit, the case is currently paused because the U.S. Department of Justice is conducting its own investigation. Grant's attorneys have not heard any updates on the federal investigation but said they want it to proceed quickly so her lawsuit may continue.
Last month, Grant also filed a petition to obtain her medical records from Dr. Carlon Colker. Callis said McMahon arranged visits for Grant to Colker and they're requesting all communication between them. Colker and Peak Wellness filed an official complaint to the petition, stating it's part of Grant's "smear campaign" against WWE.
When asked about any contact Grant has had with WWE since her lawsuit was filed, Callis said there was some initial "very brief" outreach by WWE, but nothing from the company since.
"Janelle Grant's a human being. As I've said before, she deserves justice," Callis said. "She's a victim and a survivor, she is not a WWE storyline."
veryGood! (69)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Firefighters extinguish small Maui wildfire that broke out during wind warning
- Retail sales slip in October as consumers pull back after summer splurges
- NFL power rankings Week 11: Stars are bright for Texans, Cowboys
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Ukraine says it now has a foothold on the eastern bank of Dnieper River near Kherson
- Republican faction seeks to keep courts from interpreting Ohio’s new abortion rights amendment
- Dutch court orders company to compensate 5 Iranian victims of Iraqi mustard gas attacks in the 1980s
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- 'Eyeliner' examines the cosmetic's history as a symbol of strength and protest
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- This Texas woman divorced her husband to become his guardian. Now she cares for him — with her new husband
- US Army to overturn century-old convictions of 110 Black soldiers
- China’s economy shows sparks of life, despite persisting weakness in troubled real estate sector
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Israeli soccer team captain displays shoe of kidnapped child ahead of qualifying match in Hungary
- US extends sanctions waiver allowing Iraq to buy electricity from Iran
- Biden announces 5 federal judicial nominees and stresses their varied professional backgrounds
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Transgender rights are under attack. But trans people 'just want to thrive and survive.'
This Texas woman divorced her husband to become his guardian. Now she cares for him — with her new husband
Polish truckers are in talks with Ukrainian counterparts as they protest unregulated activity
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Anchorage adds more shelter beds after unusually high amount of snow and record outdoor deaths
Get This $379 Kate Spade Satchel for Just $90
UNESCO is criticized after Cambodia evicts thousands around World Heritage site Angkor Wat