Current:Home > reviewsNew York City further tightens time limit for migrants to move out of shelters -GrowthInsight
New York City further tightens time limit for migrants to move out of shelters
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:02:32
NEW YORK (AP) — Beleaguered by a continuing influx of asylum seekers, New York City Mayor Eric Adams is further tightening shelter rules by limiting adult migrants to just 30 days in city-run facilities — to help ease pressures on the city’s already struggling shelter system and perhaps dissuade more migrants from coming.
The move was immediately criticized by advocates for migrants and homeless people as unnecessary and heartless.
But the mayor called the move “another step in our efforts to help asylum seekers take the next step in their journeys.”
Adams announced the tightened restrictions on Friday, after the Biden administration said last week it would grant temporary protected status to hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans who had arrived before July 31, a designation that would allow them to more quickly gain authorization to work in the United States.
The move by the federal government has long been sought by Adams and other big city mayors, whose shelter systems are buckling under the strain of a growing number of migrants they must care for, a number that continues to grow daily.
“We appreciate the support we have received so far from our state and federal partners, but with more than 60,000 asylum seekers still in our care and without additional help, we will be forced to continue making difficult decisions,” Adams said in his announcement.
New York City says it has more than 60,000 migrants currently in its care, about a fourth of them of Venezuelan origin. Since the spring of last year, more than 116,000 migrants have arrived from the U.S.-Mexico border.
In July, Adams had placed a 60-day limit on shelter stays that critics say would be in violation of a court ruling that mandates the city provide shelter to anyone who asks for it.
In May, Adams issued an executive order that unilaterally relaxed the city’s right-to-shelter rules, which is now the subject of a legal battle. Earlier this week, Gov. Kathy Hochul, a fellow Democrat, backed the mayor on the matter, saying in an interview on CNN that the right to shelter was never meant to “be an unlimited universal right or obligation on the City to have to house literally the entire world.”
“This is another continuation of just putting people who literally are trying to set up their new life and having additional issues and complications that they have to navigate through,” Murad Awawdeh, the executive director of the New York Immigration Coalition, said in a statement.
Advocates have long pushed the city to provide housing vouchers for the migrants and fund efforts to establish more lasting and permanent solutions, such as expanding the city’s stock of affordable housing — especially difficult given real estate prices already make living in New York City a challenge for many.
“I don’t think anyone wants to actually be in a shelter. It’s not like living in the Ritz,” he said. “It’s actually, for the most part, our newest New Yorkers have been put in tents and in really challenging spaces.”
Critics questioned the need for the time limit when the mayor had gotten a concession from the federal government that would allow Venezuelans a quicker path to securing jobs and become more self-reliant for housing.
“Any policy limiting the amount of time that our clients can reside in shelter is arbitrary and devoid of compassion,” the Legal Aid Society and the Coalition for the Homeless said in a joint statement.
The mayor’s office said housing and other services could drain about $12 billion over three years, forcing him to seek significant budget cuts that would hamper his city’s ability to adequately provide city services.
The mayor vowed to provide migrants with “intensified casework services” to help new arrivals survive outside the shelter system once they have reached the 30-day limit. Migrants who are already on two-month notice but have been unable to find other accommodations will be allowed 30 more shelter days, according to the plan announced Friday.
Over the past two months, the city said, 60-day notices had been issued to about 13,000 adult migrants,
Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services Anne Williams-Isom has said that the city needs to more quickly transition migrants into other housing.
The city said it has opened 210 emergency shelters, including 17 of what it called “large-scale humanitarian relief centers.” And it is looking for more space, including erecting additional tents to house cots for migrants who need a place to sleep.
veryGood! (92682)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Golden Globes announce 2024 nominations. See the full list of nominees.
- Bronze top hat missing from Abraham Lincoln statue in Kentucky
- Boeing promotes insider to chief operating officer, putting her in the discussion about the next CEO
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Voter turnout plunges below 30% in Hong Kong election after rules shut out pro-democracy candidates
- Los Angeles Lakers to hang 'unique' NBA In-Season Tournament championship banner
- Private intelligence firms say ship was attacked off Yemen as Houthi rebel threats grow
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Corner collapses at six-story Bronx apartment building, leaving apartments exposed
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- US inflation likely cooled again last month as Fed prepares to assess interest rates
- Mason Disick Looks So Grown Up in Rare Family Photo
- Tensions between Congo and Rwanda heighten the risk of military confrontation, UN envoy says
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Ranking the best college football hires this offseason from best to worst
- Putin visits a shipyard to oversee the commissioning of new Russian nuclear submarines
- Harvard faculty rallies to the aid of university president criticized for remarks on antisemitism
Recommendation
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Family of man who died after police used a stun gun on him file lawsuit against Alabama city
Putin visits a shipyard to oversee the commissioning of new Russian nuclear submarines
Turkey under pressure to seek return of Somalia president’s son involved in fatal traffic crash
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
How the 2016 election could factor into the case accusing Trump of trying to overturn the 2020 race
Police responding to burglary kill a man authorities say was armed with knife
Messi vs. Ronaldo will happen again: Inter Miami will play in Saudi Arabia early in 2024