Current:Home > InvestDeath of woman following attacks on North Carolina power stations ruled a homicide -GrowthInsight
Death of woman following attacks on North Carolina power stations ruled a homicide
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-05 23:59:34
The death of a woman that occurred after firearm attacks on power substations caused a massive power outage last year has been ruled a homicide, newly released autopsy records show.
Karin Zoanelli, 87, was found unresponsive in her home in Moore County, North Carolina, on the night of Dec. 3, 2022, following the power outage, according to records released by the state's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
Zoanelli's husband told police his wife was having difficulty breathing that night and he woke up to find she had fallen on the floor of their Pinehurst home, according to the records. She died shortly after midnight on Dec. 4.
Her cause of death was due to cardiovascular disease, according to the autopsy report, which lists pulmonary hypertension as a contributing condition.
MORE: Timeline of sabotage triggering North Carolina power outage
Zoanelli had chronic lung disease with pulmonary hypertension and at night used an oxygen concentrator, which the power outage disabled, according to the autopsy report.
"While the decedent succumbed to her pre-existing natural disease, preceding failure of her oxygen concentrator as a result of a power outage precipitated her demise through exacerbation of her breathing insufficiency," the autopsy report stated. "And since the power outage involved reportedly occurred in the setting of a criminal firearm attack on the regional electrical distribution substation, the manner of death is best classified as Homicide."
Roughly 45,000 utility customers lost power amid the blackout. Evidence of sabotage was found at two key electrical substations operated by utility provider Duke Energy, prompting the Moore County Sheriff's Office to investigate the incident as a "criminal occurrence" and call in the FBI to assist in the probe.
The county, state and Duke Energy are offering a $75,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for what the Moore County sheriff called "intentional vandalism."
MORE: $75K reward offered in NC power grid attacks that caused major blackout
The FBI Charlotte Field Office is also offering a $25,000 reward in the incident.
No arrests have been made in connection with the substation shootings.
Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said following the attacks that if someone died as a result of the blackout, the suspect or suspects could face murder charges.
ABC News' Bill Hutchinson contributed to this report.
veryGood! (5748)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Sora is ChatGPT maker OpenAI’s new text-to-video generator. Here’s what we know about the new tool
- Pregnant Giannina Gibelli and Bachelor Nation's Blake Horstmann Reveal Sex of Baby
- Amazon’s Presidents’ Day Sale Has Thousands of Deals- Get 68% off Dresses, $8 Eyeshadow, and More
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- From Cobain's top 50 to an ecosystem-changing gift, fall in love with these podcasts
- Everything to know about Pete Maravich, college basketball's all-time leading scorer
- Ex-FBI official sentenced to over 2 years in prison for concealing payment from Albanian businessman
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Proposed questions on sexual orientation and gender identity for the Census Bureau’s biggest survey
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Taylor Swift gives $100,000 to the family of the woman killed in the Chiefs parade shooting
- NBA All-Star break power rankings with Finals predictions from Shaq, Barkley and Kenny Smith
- Horoscopes Today, February 15, 2024
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Driver who rammed onto packed California sidewalk convicted of hit-and-run but not DUI
- Trump Media's merger with DWAC gets regulatory nod. Trump could get a stake worth $4 billion.
- RHOP's Karen Huger Reveals She Once Caught a Woman in Husband's Hotel Room
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
From 'Oppenheimer' to 'The Marvels,' here are 15 movies you need to stream right now
Iowa’s Caitlin Clark wants more focus on team during final stretch now that NCAA record is broken
Atlantic Coast Conference asks court to pause or dismiss Florida State’s lawsuit against league
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Polar bears stuck on land longer as ice melts, face greater risk of starvation, researchers say
Wounded Gaza boy who survived Israeli airstrike undergoes surgery in U.S.
Will the country music establishment embrace Beyoncé? Here's how to tell, according to experts