Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-Trial set for North Dakota’s pursuit of costs for policing Dakota Access pipeline protests -GrowthInsight
Indexbit-Trial set for North Dakota’s pursuit of costs for policing Dakota Access pipeline protests
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 14:07:33
BISMARCK,Indexbit N.D. (AP) — A court fight over whether the federal government should cover North Dakota’s $38 million in costs of responding to the lengthy protests of the Dakota Access oil pipeline years ago near its controversial river crossing will continue as a judge said the case is “ripe and ready for trial.”
The state filed the lawsuit in 2019, seeking $38 million. The lawsuit’s bench trial was scheduled earlier this month to begin Feb. 15, 2024, in Bismarck before U.S. District Court Judge Daniel Traynor, estimated to last 12-13 days.
Traynor on Wednesday denied the federal government’s motion for summary judgment to dismiss the case, and granted the state’s motion to find that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers “failed to follow its mandatory permitting procedures” for the protest activities on its land, among several rulings he made in his order.
Thousands of people gathered to camp and demonstrate near the pipeline’s controversial Missouri River crossing upstream of the Standing Rock Reservation. The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe has long opposed the pipeline due to the potential risk of the line breaking and contaminating the tribe’s water supply.
The Corps’ “abdication of the responsibility it undertook to maintain public safety at the protest site left North Dakota, at both the State and local level, with the entire burden to protect public safety and maintain law and order in the face of the brazen illegal conduct,” the state said in its 2019 complaint.
North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley said negotiations continue with the federal government as the trial looms.
“This is an important and complicated and, now at this point, protracted matter,” he said Monday. “We’ve made our best assessment, not based on just what we can say with a straight face, but what we believe the law of the United States and the equities involved in this case merit, and we’re sticking to that.”
The protests, which drew international attention, lasted from roughly August 2016 to February 2017 and resulted in hundreds of arrests and subsequent criminal cases. The pipeline has been transporting oil since June 2017.
In 2017, the pipeline company donated $15 million to help cover the response costs, and the U.S. Justice Department also gave a $10 million grant to the state for reimbursement.
Former President Donald Trump denied a request from the state for the federal government to cover the costs through a disaster declaration.
A public comment period recently ended on the draft of a court-ordered environmental review of the pipeline’s river crossing. The process is key for the future of the pipeline, with a decision expected in late 2024. The document laid out options of denying the easement and removing or abandoning the line’s river segment, granting the easement with no changes or with additional safety measures, or rerouting the pipeline north of Bismarck.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- In Pacific Northwest, 2 toss-up US House races could determine control of narrowly divided Congress
- Fisher-Price recalls 2 million baby swings for suffocation risk after 5 deaths
- Relatives of passengers who died in Boeing Max crashes will face off in court with the company
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Former inmates with felony convictions can register to vote under new provisions in New Mexico
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- Tigers ready to 'fight and claw' against Guardians in decisive Game 5 of ALDS
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- California pledged $500 million to help tenants preserve affordable housing. They didn’t get a dime.
Ranking
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- The drownings of 2 Navy SEALs were preventable, military investigation finds
- Asylum-seeker to film star: Guinean’s unusual journey highlights France’s arguments over immigration
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs trial date set for sex crimes charges: Live updates
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Martha Stewart admits to cheating on husband in Netflix doc trailer, says he 'never knew'
- Software company CEO dies 'doing what he loved' after falling at Zion National Park
- Martha Stewart Says Prosecutors Should Be Put in a Cuisinart Over Felony Conviction
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Far from landfall, Florida's inland counties and east coast still battered by Milton
Trump seizes on one block of a Colorado city to warn of migrant crime threat, even as crime dips
Ye sued by former employee who was asked to investigate Kim Kardashian, 'tail' Bianca Censori
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Austin Stowell is emotional about playing stoic Jethro Gibbs in ‘NCIS: Origins’
Former inmates with felony convictions can register to vote under new provisions in New Mexico
Mike Tyson names his price after Jake Paul's $5 million incentive offer