Current:Home > ContactPrince Harry Loses Legal Challenge Over U.K. Security Protection -GrowthInsight
Prince Harry Loses Legal Challenge Over U.K. Security Protection
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 14:21:32
Prince Harry is facing a legal setback.
The Duke of Sussex lost his challenge against the British government regarding his level of protective security when in Great Britain, the High Court announced Feb. 28.
Harry—who lives in the United States with wife Meghan Markle and kids Prince Archie, 4, and Princess Lilibet, 2—took legal action against the Home Office over the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty (RAVEC)'s 2020 decision to no longer provide him with the same amount of publicly funded personal police protection when he's in the U.K. after he and Meghan stepped back as working members of the royal family.
And while the 39-year-old's legal team had recalled RAVEC's move "unlawful," the High Court determined the decision was not unlawful, irrational or marred by procedural unfairness.
In addition, judge Sir Peter Lane noted in part of a 51-page document that RAVEC's "bespoke process" for determining Harry's security on a case-by-case basis "was, and is, legally sound."
"The claimant considers he should receive protective security from the State, whenever he is in Great Britain because of his position within the Royal Family and factors concerning his past and present situations," he wrote at another point in the document. "RAVEC did not share this view."
The judge also stated that Harry's legal team had taken "an inappropriate, formalist interpretation of the RAVEC process."
After the decision was made, the Home Office shared its reaction.
"We are pleased that the court has found in favor of the government's position in this case," it said in part of a statement obtained by Reuters, "and we are carefully considering our next steps."
Meanwhile, Harry's legal team—who expressed how the duke doesn't feel safe in the U.K. with the current security arrangements and previously lost their bid for him to cover these protection costs himself—noted their intent to appeal the judgment.
"Although these are not labels used by RAVEC, three categories - as revealed during the litigation - comprise the 'RAVEC cohort': the Role Based Category, the Occasional Category and the Other VIP Category," a legal spokesperson for the duke said in a statement obtained by NBC News. "The Duke is not asking for preferential treatment, but for a fair and lawful application of RAVEC's own rules, ensuring that he receives the same consideration as others in accordance with RAVEC's own written policy."
The spokesperson added, "In February 2020, RAVEC failed to apply its written policy to The Duke of Sussex and excluded him from a particular risk analysis. The Duke's case is that the so-called 'bespoke process' that applies to him, is no substitute for that risk analysis. The Duke of Sussex hopes he will obtain justice from the Court of Appeal, and makes no further comment while the case is ongoing."
To review more royal news from earlier this year, including King Charles III and Kate Middleton's health battles, keep reading.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, died Feb. 25. Although the cause of death was not disclosed, no suspicious circumstances or other parties were involved, according to the family.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family).
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (461)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Solar Energy Largely Unscathed by Hurricane Florence’s Wind and Rain
- Pairing Wind + Solar for Cheaper, 24-Hour Renewable Energy
- Natalee Holloway Suspect Joran Van Der Sloot Pleads Not Guilty in U.S. Fraud Case
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Kendall Jenner and Bad Bunny’s Matching Moment Is So Good
- Elliot Page, Dylan Mulvaney and More Transgender Stars Who've Opened Up About Their Journeys
- China Ramps Up Coal Power Again, Despite Pressure to Cut Emissions
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Kim Zolciak Won't Be Tardy to Drop Biermann From Her Instagram Name
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- How many Americans still haven't caught COVID-19? CDC publishes final 2022 estimates
- How Trump’s New Trade Deal Could Prolong His Pollution Legacy
- California Ups Its Clean Energy Game: Gov. Brown Signs 100% Zero-Carbon Electricity Bill
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Elliot Page, Dylan Mulvaney and More Transgender Stars Who've Opened Up About Their Journeys
- Alligator attacks and kills woman who was walking her dog in South Carolina
- Ousted Standing Rock Leader on the Pipeline Protest That Almost Succeeded
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Proof Tom Holland Is Marveling Over Photos of Girlfriend Zendaya Online
NASCAR contractor electrocuted to death while setting up course for Chicago Street Race
Breaking Bad Actor Mike Batayeh Dead at 52
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Trump’s Power Plant Plan Can’t Save Coal from Market Forces
Climate Change Will Hit Southern Poor Hardest, U.S. Economic Analysis Shows
Baby girl among 4 found dead by Texas authorities in Rio Grande river on U.S.-Mexico border in just 48 hours