Current:Home > reviewsUN to vote on resolution to authorize one-year deployment of armed force to help Haiti fight gangs -GrowthInsight
UN to vote on resolution to authorize one-year deployment of armed force to help Haiti fight gangs
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 00:09:15
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The U.N. Security Council is scheduling a vote Monday on a resolution that would authorize a one-year deployment of an international force to help Haiti quell a surge in gang violence and restore security so the troubled Caribbean nation can hold long-delayed elections.
The U.S.-drafted resolution obtained by The Associated Press on Saturday welcomes Kenya’s offer to lead the multinational security force. It makes clear this would be a non-U.N. force funded by voluntary contributions.
The resolution would authorize the force for one year, with a review after nine months.
The force would be allowed to provide operational support to Haiti’s National Police, which is underfunded and under resourced, with only some 10,000 active officers for a country of more than 11 million people.
The resolution says the force would help built capacity of local police “through the planning and conduct of joint security support operations as it works to counter gangs and improve security conditions in Haiti.”
The force would also help secure “critical infrastructure sites and transit locations such as the airport, ports, and key intersections.” Powerful gangs have seized control of key roads leading from Haiti’s capital to the country’s northern and southern regions, disrupting the transportation of food and other goods.
Passage by the Security Council would authorize the force to “adopt urgent temporary measures on an exceptional basis” to prevent the loss of life and help police maintain public safety.
Leaders of the mission would be required to inform the council on the mission’s goals, rules of engagement, financial needs and other matters before a full deployment.
A spokesman for Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry said he wasn’t aware of the resolution or the upcoming vote and said the government did not immediately have comment.
The resolution condemns “the increasing violence, criminal activities, and human rights abuses and violations which undermine the peace, stability, and security of Haiti and the region, including kidnappings, sexual and gender-based violence, trafficking in persons and the smuggling of migrants, homicides, extrajudicial killings, as well as arms smuggling.”
If adopted, it would mark the first time a force has been deployed to Haiti since the U.N. approved a stabilization mission in June 2004 that was marred by a sexual abuse scandal and the introduction of cholera. That mission ended in October 2017.
Concerns also have surrounded the proposed Kenyan-led mission, with critics noting that police in the East Africa country have long been accused of using torture, deadly force and other abuses.
The resolution stresses that all those participating in the proposed mission must take necessary action to prevent sexual exploitation and abuse as well as vet all personnel. It also demands swift investigations of any allegations of misconduct.
In addition, the resolution warns that those involved in the mission must adopt wastewater management and other environmental control to prevent the introduction and spread of water-borne diseases, such as cholera.
It wasn’t immediately clear how big the force would be if approved, although Kenya’s government has previously proposed sending 1,000 police officers. In addition, Jamaica, the Bahamas, and Antigua and Barbuda have pledged to send personnel.
Last month, the administration of U.S. President Joe Biden promised to provide logistics and $100 million to support a Kenyan-led force.
The resolution notes that the Security Council intends to impose additional sanctions on those who contribute to Haiti’s violence. The U.N. has already imposed sanctions on Jimmy Chérizier, known as “Barbecue,” who heads Haiti’s biggest gang alliance. Chérizier, a former police officer, recently warned that he would fight any armed force suspected of abuses.
The proposed resolution comes nearly a year after Haiti’s prime minister and other top government officials requested the immediate deployment of a foreign armed force as the government struggles to fight violent gangs estimated to control up to 80% of the capital of Port-au-Prince.
From Jan. 1 to Aug. 15, more than 2,400 people in Haiti were reported killed, more than 950 kidnapped and 902 injured, according to the most recent U.N. statistics. More than 200,000 others have been displaced by violence, with many crammed in makeshift shelters after gangs pillaged their communities.
___
Lederer reported from Los Angeles.
veryGood! (94787)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Tennessee’s GOP governor says Volkswagen plant workers made a mistake in union vote
- Prince Louis Is All Grown Up in Royally Sweet 6th Birthday Portrait
- Miss USA 2019 Cheslie Kryst Details Mental Health Struggles in Posthumous Memoir
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- 2 hunters may have died of prion disease from eating contaminated deer meat, researchers say
- Seven big-name college football standouts who could be in for long wait in 2024 NFL draft
- Lyrid meteor shower to peak tonight. Here's what to know
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Officials identify Marine who died during training near Camp Lejeune in North Carolina
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Real Housewives' Kyle Richards Says People Think She Has Fake Lashes When She Uses This $9 Mascara
- Taylor Swift’s Friend Keleigh Teller Shares Which TTPD Song “Hurts So Much” for Her
- See the bronze, corgi-adorned statue honoring Queen Elizabeth II on her 98th birthday: Photos
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Real Housewives' Kyle Richards Says People Think She Has Fake Lashes When She Uses This $9 Mascara
- Trump trial in hush money case gets underway with opening statements and first witness
- Forget green: Purple may be key to finding planets capable of hosting alien life, study says
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Lawyer defending New Hampshire in youth center abuse trial attacks former resident’s credibility
Nets hire Jordi Fernandez: What to know about Brooklyn's new head coach
Public health alert issued over ground beef that may be contaminated with E. coli
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Luke Bryan slips on fan's cellphone during concert, jokes he needed to go 'viral'
Minnesota state senator arrested on suspicion of burglary
Jelly Roll was bullied off the internet due to weight, wife Bunnie XO says: 'It hurts him'