Current:Home > ScamsKey Bridge cleanup crews begin removing containers from Dali cargo ship -GrowthInsight
Key Bridge cleanup crews begin removing containers from Dali cargo ship
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:42:27
Salvage crews on Sunday began removing containers aboard the Dali cargo ship, which has been stuck in the Baltimore Harbor since it crashed into and collapsed the Francis Scott Key Bridge last month, marking a crucial step in the main channel's reopening.
Crews removed containers from the Dali "as part of the effort to gain access to the portion of the Key Bridge that lies atop the ship," the Key Bridge Response Unified Command said in a statement Sunday. The removal of the containers will continue throughout the week as weather permits.
Removing the containers will help safely move the Dali from the wreckage site and allow for safe access to then remove sections of the bridge across the ship’s bow, according to the Key Bridge Response Unified Command.
Temporary alternate channels have been established since the bridge's collapse on March 26, when the Dali lost power and rammed into a support column of the bridge causing it to plunge into the Patapsco River. In total, 32 vessels have passed through temporary channels, the Key Bridge Response Unified Command said.
"The Unified Command is concurrently progressing on its main lines of effort to remove enough debris to open the channel to larger commercial traffic, refloat the M/V Dali and continue recovery efforts for missing loved ones," said U.S. Coast Guard Capt. David O’Connell in a statement. "Every day we are working to achieve these goals safely and efficiently."
On Thursday, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced that it plans to open a new channel in the Port of Baltimore by the end of April and restore port access to full capacity by the end of May. Lt. Gen. Scott A. Spellmon, the commanding general for the USACE, said the timeline could change due to weather conditions and the state of the wreckage.
"We are working quickly and safely to clear the channel and restore full service at this port that is so vital to the nation," Spellmon said. "At the same time, we continue to keep faith with the families of the missing and are working with our partners to help locate and recover their loved ones.”
Authorities are continuing efforts to recover the bodies of the six construction workers who died in the collapse. Rescuers had pulled out two additional workers, but the six were presumed dead after an hours-long search.
So far, the bodies of Maynor Suazo Sandoval, 38, Dorlian Castillo Cabrera, 26, and Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, have been recovered from the river, authorities said. The three others are still missing.
Contributing: Cybele Mayes-Osterman, USA TODAY; Reuters
veryGood! (37)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- 4th person charged in riverside brawl in Alabama that drew national attention
- Lindsay Lohan’s Brother Dakota Shares Photo With “Precious” Nephew Luai
- Sweden stakes claim as a Women's World Cup favorite by stopping Japan in quarterfinals
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- 4th person charged in riverside brawl in Alabama that drew national attention
- Conservative groups are challenging corporate efforts to diversify workforce
- Las Vegas police videos show moments before home is raided in Tupac Shakur cold case
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- John Anderson: The Wealth Architect's Journey from Wall Street to Global Dominance
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Atlanta area doctor, hospital sued after baby allegedly decapitated during birth
- Cats in Cyprus treated with COVID medicine as virus kills thousands on island
- 'Burnt down to ashes': Families search for missing people in Maui as death count climbs
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- 2 men connected to Alabama riverfront brawl turn themselves in
- This week on Sunday Morning (August 13)
- 41 reportedly dead after migrant boat capsizes off Italian island
Recommendation
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Kelly Clarkson Switches Lyrics to “Piece By Piece” After Brandon Blackstock Divorce
Da'vian Kimbrough, 13, becomes youngest pro soccer player in U.S. after signing with the Sacramento Republic
Disney is raising prices on ad-free Disney+, Hulu — and plans a crackdown on password sharing
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Lil Tay says she’s alive, claims her social media was hacked: Everything we know
Navigating the Market Whirlwind: Mark Williams' Expertise in Swing Operations
As new school term begins, Kentucky governor points to progress with school safety efforts