Current:Home > InvestDemolition at Baltimore bridge collapse site postponed due to inclement weather -GrowthInsight
Demolition at Baltimore bridge collapse site postponed due to inclement weather
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 11:09:52
The planned demolition to remove a large steel section from the Francis Scott Key Bridge wreckage in Baltimore has been postponed again due to poor weather conditions and rescheduled to Monday, officials announced.
Demolition crews were scheduled to use small, controlled explosives Sunday to remove a large section of the Key Bridge that has been on top of a container ship since it crashed into one of the bridge’s support columns in late March. Officials have been postponing the operation since Friday because of severe weather, including thunderstorms, in the region.
The demolition has now been tentatively moved to Monday at around 5 p.m. ET, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for the Baltimore District.
The U.S. Army and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said using precision cuts made with small charges to break down the steel span is the "safest and swiftest method." Authorities have estimated that the large section is about 500 feet long and weighs about 600 tons.
The steel span has been on top of the ship since the Dali lost power and collided with one of the bridge's support pylons on March 26, killing six people and shutting down the Port of Baltimore. The FBI opened a criminal probe last month into the collapse, which also halted shipping traffic through one of the nation's most crucial ports.
Once the span is broken down into smaller pieces, officials said crews can begin work on debris removal and re-float the Dali so that it can be removed from the channel.
"We remain focused on restoring the Marine Transportation System, while ensuring the protection of the public and the environment," Capt. David O’Connell, the Key Bridge Response federal on-scene coordinator, said in a statement last week. "By using precision cuts, we reduce risks to our personnel and can safely and efficiently continue clearing the channel for the Port of Baltimore."
'Something's missing here':Body camera footage captures first responders' reactions in wake of Baltimore bridge collapse
Safety zone around Key Bridge wreckage remains in effect
A 2,000-yard safety zone around the bridge wreckage remains in effect and is intended to protect personnel, vessels, and the marine environment, according to the Key Bridge Response Unified Command. Officials said hearing protection is not required outside the 2,000-yard radius as sound levels outside the radius will only last between two to five seconds and "will be no louder than a standard fireworks show."
The precision cuts will look like "multiple puffs of smoke and sound like fireworks," according to the U.S. Army and the Army Corps of Engineers. Officials added that similar methods have been used for the controlled demolition of the Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge in March 2023 in Charles County, Maryland.
"The small charges, a standard controlled demolition tool, will split the large section of truss resting on the M/V DALI at specific locations to create smaller sections, which allows salvors to use cranes and barges already on scene to clear wreckage and remove the vessel," the Unified Command said.
Officials said the Key Bridge Response Unified Command is working with the Maryland Department of Emergency Management to issue a cellular notification before the controlled demolition. Maryland State Police and other law enforcement agencies will also provide perimeter security around the area and officials have discouraged the public from spectating the demolition.
Port of Baltimore channel to tentatively reopen by end of May
Crews have been working for weeks remove the bridge wreckage to clear out the port. Following the crash, around 1,100 personnel from the Army Corps of Engineers were deployed to the scene to begin the heavy undertaking of removing the wreckage.
Authorities brought highly specialized equipment, including the Chesapeake 1000, the largest floating crane on the Eastern Seaboard. Temporary alternate channels have also been established since the bridge's collapse as part of a "phased approach" to opening the main channel, the Unified Command said.
Last month, the Port of Baltimore said it had "another milestone" after the first container ship arrived at Seagirt Terminal since the collapse. MSC Passion II came through the "35-foot-deep temporary channel," the port said.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers anticipates that the Port of Baltimore's permanent 700-foot-wide, 50-foot-deep channel will reopen with normal capacity by the end of May, according to a "tentative" timeline.
Contributing: Cybele Mayes-Osterman and Jonathan Limehouse, USA TODAY; Reuters
veryGood! (55921)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- NHTSA is over 5 months late in meeting deadline to strengthen car seats
- Nicole Richie and Joel Madden's teen children Harlow and Sparrow make red carpet debut
- Hannah Waddingham Details Trauma From Filming Game of Thrones Waterboarding Scene
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Kansas City fans claim power back by rejecting Chiefs and Royals stadium tax
- Transportation officials want NYC Marathon organizers to pay $750K to cross the Verrazzano bridge
- How brown rats crawled off ships and conquered North American cities
- Trump's 'stop
- Foul play suspected in disappearance of two women driving to pick up kids in Oklahoma
Ranking
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- In swing-state Wisconsin, Democrat hustles to keep key Senate seat against Trump-backed millionaire
- Don't touch the alien-like creatures: What to know about the caterpillars all over Florida
- Lawsuit challenges Alabama restrictions on absentee ballot help
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- New York adulterers could get tossed out of house but not thrown in jail under newly passed bill
- Bronny James' future at Southern Cal uncertain after departure of head coach Andy Enfield
- Lizelle Gonzalez is suing the Texas prosecutors who charged her criminally after abortion
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Caitlin Clark of Iowa is the AP Player of the Year in women’s hoops for the 2nd straight season
How the 2024 solar eclipse could impact the end of Ramadan and start of Eid
Proof Brenda Song Is Living the Suite Life on Vacation With Macaulay Culkin
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
The Nail Salon Is Expensive: These Press-On Nails Cost Less Than a Manicure
Hannah Waddingham Details Trauma From Filming Game of Thrones Waterboarding Scene
'We do not know how to cope': Earth spinning slower may prompt negative leap second