Current:Home > StocksRetired Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov dies in Florida at 42 -GrowthInsight
Retired Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov dies in Florida at 42
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 14:04:55
MIAMI (AP) — Former Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov, who was coaching in the KHL, has died in Florida, police said Tuesday. He was 42.
Miami-Dade Police detective Argemis Colome confirmed Koltsov’s death in a statement sent to The Associated Press. Police said the death was an apparent suicide and no foul play was suspected.
Koltsov served as an assistant coach for Salavat Yulaev Ufa the past two seasons. He also was an assistant on staff for the Belarusian men’s national team.
National team coach Dmitry Baskov called Koltsov’s death “an irreparable loss.”
“Konstantin was one of the undisputable leaders of our team, a talented progressive coach, a bright player,” Baskov said in a statement. “He was an example of sturdiness, hard work, dedication and an idol for many Belarusian boys and his colleagues. It’s hard and unfair when such people leave so early.”
Koltsov played in 144 NHL games for the Pittsburgh Penguins from 2003-06 after being selected in the first round of the 1999 draft, putting up 12 goals and 26 assists. The Penguins in a statement extended condolences to Koltsov’s family and friends.
Koltsov played most of his career in the Russian Superleague, which morphed into the KHL, finishing with Dynamo Minsk in 2015-16 and going into coaching. Salavat Yulaev Ufa expressed sorrow for the death of Koltsov, who won a Gagarin Cup championship with the club as a player in 2010-11.
“He was a strong and cheerful person, he was loved and respected by players, colleagues, and fans,” the team said in a statement. “(Koltsov) forever wrote himself into the history of our club.”
Koltsov had been dating second-ranked women’s tennis player Aryna Sabalenka, who was scheduled to play in the Miami Open tournament that began Tuesday. A spokesperson for the Miami Open said late Tuesday afternoon that Sabalenka had not withdrawn from the event.
As one of the 32 seeded players in the women’s bracket, Sabalenka received a first-round bye. She is scheduled to make her initial appearance in the 2024 edition of the tournament in the second round on Thursday, when she would face the winner of a match between two-time major champion Simona Halep and Paula Badosa.
Messages sent to Sabalenka’s publicist were not immediately returned.
Sabalenka is a 25-year-old also from Belarus who won the Australian Open in January for her second consecutive title at Melbourne Park. She was featured during the Netflix docuseries “Break Point,” speaking emotionally about the death of her father when he was in his early 40s.
___
This story includes discussion of suicide. If you or someone you know needs help, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988.
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (12758)
Related
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- King Charles III Reveals His Royally Surprising Exercise Routine
- Ex-aide to NYC Mayor Eric Adams in plea discussions with federal prosecutors
- Tia Mowry on her 'healing journey,' mornings with her kids and being on TV without Tamera
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Texas Democrats’ longtime chairman steps down after big losses continue for the party
- NYC police search for a gunman who wounded a man before fleeing into the subway system
- Fighting misinformation: How to keep from falling for fake news videos
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith Step Out for Dinner in Rare Public Appearance
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- NFL Week 10 picks straight up and against spread: Steelers or Commanders in first-place battle?
- Halle Bailey’s Ex DDG Defends Her Over Message About Son Halo Appearing on Livestream
- DB Wealth Institute Introduce
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Nordstrom Rack Clear the Rack Sale Insane Deals: $18 Free People Jumpsuits, $7 Olaplex, $52 Uggs & More
- Don Johnson Reveals Daughter Dakota Johnson's Penis Drawing Prank
- Wildfires keep coming in bone-dry New Jersey
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Scam losses worldwide this year are $1 trillion. How to protect yourself.
Majority Black Louisiana elementary school to shut down amid lawsuits over toxic air exposure
The Daily Money: Want a refi? Act fast.
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Trump’s win brings uncertainty to borrowers hoping for student loan forgiveness
Partial list of nominees for the 2025 Grammy Awards
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, EIEIO