Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:NYC’s transit budget is short $16 billion. Here are the proposed cuts, as the governor seeks funds -GrowthInsight
Charles Langston:NYC’s transit budget is short $16 billion. Here are the proposed cuts, as the governor seeks funds
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:01:21
NEW YORK (AP) — New York’s public transit system will stop work on Charles Langstona planned subway line expansion and retreat from other maintenance and improvement projects because of a $16.5 billion shortfall caused by Gov. Kathy Hochul’s decision to halt a plan to fund the projects through “congestion” tolls imposed on Manhattan drivers.
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority board took a formal vote Wednesday to delay the tolling program. It had been on track to launch June 30 before Hochul’s surprise announcement of an unspecified “pause” in implementing the program.
It would have charged most private cars about $15 to enter the busiest part of Manhattan, on top of any other bridge or tunnel tolls. Hochul said she was delaying the congestion tolls because of concerns that New York City’s economy might be hurt if people stayed away from the city to avoid them.
Hochul has promised to fill the funding gap caused by the indefinite suspension of the program but hasn’t presented a specific plan.
In the meeting, MTA board members stressed that they had no power to reverse Hochul’s decision. The state law establishing congestion pricing requires a sign-off from her transportation department, they said.
“There is no path for the MTA to proceed,” said Daniel Garodnick, one of the board members who voted yes on the resolution while lamenting the Democratic governor’s decision.
Until money is found to replace the anticipated toll revenue, the MTA will need to slash its capital budget by at least 30%, the authority’s officials said in a presentation to board members. The estimates factor in lost revenue, sunk costs, and potentially lost federal funding.
At the meeting, MTA leaders presented a plan to reprioritize building projects assuming a massive shortfall, focusing on maintaining current service. It included halting $5 billion in spending on a planned subway expansion and a $7.5 billion retreat from improving existing services with trains, track improvements, and maintenance. The budget now cuts some $2 billion from plans to make more stations wheelchair-accessible.
Some $500 million in planned purchases of zero-emission buses will be delayed, an effort that was aimed at reducing pollution, which is tied to respiratory problems.
“To me that presentation is dire. No board member wants to sit here talking about what projects we want to cut,” said board member Midori Valdivia. “It feels really tragic that we might not be able to deliver to our environmental justice communities as much as we had promised.”
In a statement, Hochul said she still had “unwavering support for the MTA” and pledged to work with its leaders and the Legislature to find ways to pay for planned projects.
“While the timing of the next budget may necessitate temporary adjustments to the timeline of certain contracts, there is no reason for New Yorkers to be concerned that any planned projects will not be delivered,” she said.
“I also believe that there are additional opportunities for savings and improved revenues within existing MTA operations,” she added.
Hochul previously suggested a tax increase on New York businesses as a way to raise money, but that idea died in the Legislature.
Board members said they were bombarded with emails asking them to defy the governor’s decision to halt the tolling program, which had the dual goal of funding the subways while reducing vehicle traffic on Manhattan’s most congested streets.
“We don’t engage in theatrics,” MTA Chair and CEO Janno Lieber said, when a reporter asked about possible symbolic actions the board could have taken in protest.
The dent in the MTA’s budget could deepen depending on how long funding is delayed. The MTA already inked contracts for $500 million to pay for cameras and other infrastructure for the congestion pricing system. It will be charged by contractors for scaling back or rescinding awards, with the problems compounding as the uncertainty continues.
“Time wounds all projects,” Lieber said, declining to outline when the funding hole will be fully seen. “It’s not a bright line.”
The MTA also can’t collect $3 billion in federal match money for building projects without money from the state, MTA officials said, though there’s no clear deadline for losing the money. Under the austerity plan, $2 billion in matching funds from the state now needs to be redirected to keeping the trains running.
Lieber said the board may have to vote later to authorize specific cuts.
veryGood! (3631)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- CFP 1.0 changed college football, not all for better, and was necessary step in postseason evolution
- Looking to get more exercise? Here's how much you need to be walking each day.
- Thompson and Guest to run for reelection in Mississippi, both confirm as qualifying period opens
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Live updates | Fighting rages in southern Gaza and fears grow the war may spread in the region
- Netflix, not football, is on menu for Alabama coach Nick Saban after Rose Bowl loss to Michigan
- Ready to mark your calendar for 2024? Dates for holidays, events and games to plan ahead for
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Arizona border crossing with Mexico to reopen a month after migrant influx forced closure
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Trump’s vows to deport millions are undercut by his White House record and one family’s story
- Coach-to-player comms, sideline tablets tested in bowl games, but some schools decided to hold off
- Court rules absentee ballots with minor problems OK to count
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Hong Kong prosecutors allege democracy publisher Jimmy Lai urged protests, sanctions against China
- She had a panic attack during preterm labor. Then a nurse stepped in
- Extreme cold grips the Nordics, with the coldest January night in Sweden, as floods hit to the south
Recommendation
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
Coach-to-player comms, sideline tablets tested in bowl games, but some schools decided to hold off
North Carolina presidential primary candidates have been finalized; a Trump challenge is on appeal
Several Midwestern cities are going to be counted again like it’s 2020
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Trump, 5 other Republicans and Biden approved for Wisconsin primary ballot
Body of missing Florida woman found in retention pond after nearly 12 years, volunteer divers say
7,000 pounds of ground beef sold across U.S. recalled over E. Coli contamination concerns