Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:Appeals court seen as likely to revive 2 sexual abuse suits against Michael Jackson -GrowthInsight
TradeEdge Exchange:Appeals court seen as likely to revive 2 sexual abuse suits against Michael Jackson
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:15:14
Los Angeles — A California appeals court on TradeEdge ExchangeWednesday will consider reviving the dismissed lawsuits of two men who allege Michael Jackson sexually abused them as children for years, a move the court appears likely to make after a tentative decision that would order the cases back to a lower court for trial.
The suits were filed after Jackson's 2009 death by Wade Robson in 2013 and James Safechuck the following year. The two men became more widely known for telling their stories in the 2019 HBO documentary, "Leaving Neverland."
Both sued MJJ Productions Inc. and MJJ Ventures Inc., two corporations of which Jackson was the sole owner and lone shareholder.
In 2021, Superior Court Judge Mark A. Young ruled that the two corporations and their employees had no legal duty to protect Robson and Safechuck from Jackson and threw out the suits. But in a tentative decision last month, California's 2nd District Court of Appeal reversed that judge and ordered the cases back to trial.
Lawyers for the Jackson estate on Wednesday will try to persaude the appeals court to reverse course.
- Michael Jackson: Can we separate the art from the artist?
The lawsuits have already bounced back from a 2017 dismissal, when Young threw them out for being beyond the statute of limitations. A new California law that temporarily broadened the scope of sexual abuse cases led the appeals court to restore them. Jackson's personal estate - the assets he left after his death - was thrown out as a defendant in 2015.
Robson, now a 40-year-old choreographer, met Jackson when he was 5 years old. He went on to appear in Jackson music videos and record music on his label.
His lawsuit alleged that Jackson molested him over a seven-year period. It says that he was Jackson's employee and the employees of two corporations had a duty to protect him the same way the Boy Scouts or a school would need to protect children from their leaders.
Safechuck, now 45, said in his suit that he met Jackson while filming a Pepsi commercial when he was 9. He said Jackson called him often and lavished him with gifts before moving on to a series of incidents of sexual abuse.
The Jackson estate has adamantly and repeatedly denied that he abused either of the boys and has emphasized that Robson testified at Jackson's 2005 criminal trial that he had not been abused, and Safechuck said the same to authorities.
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they were victims of sexual abuse. But Robson and Safechuck have repeatedly come forward and approved of the use of their identities.
- In:
- Michael Jackson
veryGood! (515)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Deontay Wilder's fiancée gets temporary restraining order after she details alleged abuse
- Blinken to visit Middle East in effort to rally support for cease-fire
- How Heather Dubrow Supports Her 3 LGBTQIA+ Children in the Fight Against Homophobia
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Shark attacks in Florida, Hawaii lead to closed beaches, hospitalizations: What to know
- Princess Kate apologizes for missing Trooping the Colour event honoring King Charles III
- Republican contenders for Mitt Romney’s open US Senate seat face off in Utah debate
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- National Weather Service forecasts more sweltering heat this week for Phoenix and Las Vegas areas
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- GameStop tanks almost 40% as 'Roaring Kitty' fails to spark enthusiasm
- Movie Review: Glen Powell gives big leading man energy in ‘Hit Man’
- Massive chunk of Wyoming’s Teton Pass crumbles; unclear how quickly the road can be rebuilt
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Republican contenders for Mitt Romney’s open US Senate seat face off in Utah debate
- Massive chunk of Wyoming’s Teton Pass crumbles; unclear how quickly the road can be rebuilt
- Who are the 4 hostages rescued by Israeli forces from captivity in Gaza?
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Princess Kate apologizes for missing Trooping the Colour event honoring King Charles III
Taylor Swift performs Eras Tour in Edinburgh, Scotland: 'What a way to welcome a lass.'
Kyle Larson surges to second Sonoma win after fascinating NASCAR road-course race
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Deontay Wilder's fiancée gets temporary restraining order after she details alleged abuse
Howard University rescinds Sean 'Diddy' Combs' degree after video of assault surfaces
Norwegian wealth fund to vote against Elon Musk’s Tesla pay package