Current:Home > ContactAustralia to send military personnel to help protect Red Sea shipping but no warship -GrowthInsight
Australia to send military personnel to help protect Red Sea shipping but no warship
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:50:54
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia will send 11 military personnel to support a U.S.-led mission to protect cargo shipping in the Red Sea, but it will not send a warship or plane, the defense minister said Thursday.
Defense Minister Richard Marles said Australia’s military needs to keep focused on the Pacific region.
The United States announced this week that several nations are creating a force to protect commerecial shipping from attack by drones and ballistic missiles fired from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.
Marles said 11 military personnel will be sent in January to Operation Prosperity Guardian’s headquarters in Bahrain, where five Australians are already posted.
“We won’t be sending a ship or a plane,” hs told Sky News television. “That said, we will be almost tripling our contribution to the combined maritime force.”
“We need to be really clear around our strategic focus, and our strategic focus is our region: the northeast Indian Ocean, the South China Sea, the East China Sea, the Pacific,” Marles added.
The U.S. and its allies are concerned by China’s growing assertiveness in the region.
Australia is one of the United States’ closest military allies. The U.S. Congress last week passed legislation allowing the sale of Virginia-class nuclear-powered submarines to Australia under a security pact that includes Britain.
Marles rejected opposition lawmakers’ criticism that a failure to send a warship as the United States had requested made Australia a less reliable partner and ally.
“That’s patently ridiculous,” Marles said.
The United States is aware of the scale of the Australian defense force and the need to maintain its focus on the Asia-Pacific region, he said.
“It is to state the obvious that to take a major asset and put it in the Middle East is to take a major asset away from what we’re doing in the immediate region,” Marles said.
Opposition defense spokesman Andrew Hastie called on Australia to send a warship.
“It’s in our national interest to contribute. If we want others to help us in a time of need, we need to step up and reciprocate now,” Hastie said.
Several cargo ships in the Red Sea have been damaged by the attacks. Multiple shipping companies have ordered their ships not enter the Bab el-Mandeb Strait until security is improved.
veryGood! (65)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- War Eagle. Sooner Schooner. The Grove. Top college football traditions, ranked.
- Below Deck Down Under Loses Another Crewmember After Heartbreaking Firing
- Farmers Insurance lay off will affect 11% of workforce. CEO says 'decisive actions' needed
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Florida Gulf Coast drivers warned of contaminated gas as Tropical Storm Idalia bears down
- Pregnant Jessie James Decker Gets Candid About Breastfeeding With Implants
- Maine’s puffin colonies recovering in the face of climate change
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Guatemala’s electoral tribunal confirms Arévalo’s victory shortly after his party is suspended
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Backpage founder faces 2nd trial over what prosecutors say was a scheme to sell ads for sex
- NFL preseason winners, losers: Final verdicts before roster cuts, regular season
- Iowa deputies cleared in fatal shooting of man armed with pellet gun
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Pilot killed in combat jet crash near San Diego base identified as Maj. Andrew Mettler, Marine known as Simple Jack
- NASA releases first U.S. pollution map images from new instrument launched to space: Game-changing data
- NFL's highest-paid edge rushers: See what the top 32 make for 2023 season
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Florida prays Idalia won’t join long list of destructive storms with names starting with “I.”
Backpage founder faces 2nd trial over what prosecutors say was a scheme to sell ads for sex
NFL roster cuts 2023: Tracking teams' moves before Tuesday deadline
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Killer identified in Massachusetts Lady of the Dunes cold case
NFL roster cuts 2023: Tracking teams' moves before Tuesday deadline
Biden will visit Hanoi next month as he seeks to strengthen US-Vietnam relations