Current:Home > StocksHouston police chief won’t say if thousands of dropped cases reveals bigger problems within agency -GrowthInsight
Houston police chief won’t say if thousands of dropped cases reveals bigger problems within agency
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 14:07:37
HOUSTON (AP) — Houston’s police chief on Tuesday declined to say whether recent revelations that more than 264,000 cases filed with Houston police in the past eight years were dropped speak to broader problems within his agency that need to be fixed.
During a nearly two-hour meeting at police headquarters in downtown Houston with reporters and local community leaders, Chief Troy Finner acknowledged his department has lost some trust with the public because of the ongoing scandal. In February, Finner announced that hundreds of thousands of incident reports, including for sexual assaults and property crimes, were never submitted for investigation as officers assigned them an internal code that cited a lack of available personnel.
But Finner said he wasn’t ready to declare that the mishandling of these incident reports was an example of bigger cultural problems within the police department and how officers perform their duties. After a deadly drug raid in 2019, an audit found multiple problems with the Houston police narcotics unit behind the raid, including a lack of supervision and officers making hundreds of errors in cases.
“It’s ugly. It don’t feel good. It’s a part of that process that we brought upon ourselves,” Finner said during the meeting, which reporters were not allowed to record.
Finner said there would be accountability but declined to provide more details on this, citing an internal affairs investigation set to be completed by the end of April.
Last month, Mayor John Whitmire announced the creation of an independent panel to review police handling of the dropped cases.
Two assistant chiefs have already been demoted over their roles in the matter.
The police department has so far reviewed 67,533 of the 264,000 incident reports, Finner said Tuesday.
The department’s top priority has been reaching out to people who filed more than 4,000 sexual assault reports that were suspended, with 3,883 having been reviewed as of Tuesday, Finner said.
The internal code, part of the department’s record management system, was created in 2016, years before Finner became chief in April 2021.
Finner said he first found out officers were using the code during a meeting on Nov. 4, 2021, and gave an order for it to stop. But then he learned on Feb. 7 of this year that it was still being used to dismiss a significant number of adult sexual assault cases.
Finner suggested he and others in his department might have failed to follow up on whether the internal code was no longer being used because they were dealing with various issues, including a dramatic spike in crime during the pandemic, a shortage of officers and the deaths of 10 people at the Astroworld music festival, which happened a day after the meeting where he told his staff to stop using the code.
“I don’t make any excuses. When you are the chief, you are responsible,” Finner said.
One of the community activists who attended Tuesday’s meeting, Cesar Espinosa, executive director of FIEL, a Houston-based civil rights group, said there needs to be full transparency with the ongoing investigation and with any punishment so that people don’t think “this is business as usual.”
“We just want to know the facts about what happened and how we’re going to keep it from happening again,” Espinosa said.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (6199)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Baltimore leaders accuse ship’s owner and manager of negligence in Key Bridge collapse
- Cleveland to pay $4.8M to family of teen killed by stolen car during police chase
- Maui officials push back on some details in Hawaii attorney general report on deadly wildfire
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- America’s child care crisis is holding back moms without college degrees
- Larry Demeritte will be first Black trainer in Kentucky Derby since 1989. How he beat the odds
- Céline Dion Gives Health Update Amid Battle With Stiff-Person Syndrome
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- With graduation near, colleges seek to balance safety and students’ right to protest Gaza war
Ranking
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Celebrity designer faces prison for smuggling crocodile handbags
- Missouri lawmakers again try to kick Planned Parenthood off Medicaid
- Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis' 10-Year-Old Son Otis Is All Grown Up in Rare Photo
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- EPA Faulted for Wasting Millions, Failing to Prevent Spread of Superfund Site Contamination
- Celebrity designer faces prison for smuggling crocodile handbags
- Several Alabama elementary students hospitalized after van crashes into tree
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
'Deadpool & Wolverine' drops new trailer featuring Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman in action
Movies for Earth Day: 8 films to watch to honor the planet (and where to stream them)
A suburban Seattle police officer faces murder trial in the death of a man outside convenience store
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
'American Horror Story: Delicate' Part 2 finale: Release date, time, where to watch and stream
The body recovered of 1 of 2 men who vanished last week after kayaks capsized in Indianapolis
Jets trade quarterback Zach Wilson to the Broncos, AP source says