Current:Home > reviewsSean "Diddy" Combs apologizes for alleged attack seen in 2016 surveillance video -GrowthInsight
Sean "Diddy" Combs apologizes for alleged attack seen in 2016 surveillance video
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:47:12
Sean "Diddy" Combs apologized for the recently surfaced security video aired by CNN that appears to show him attacking singer Cassie in a Los Angeles hotel hallway in 2016. He said his behavior was "inexcusable" and he takes "full responsibility" for his actions.
The hip-hop mogul took to social media on Sunday to apologize for the alleged attack and said in a video on Instagram he is "disgusted" by his actions.
"It's so difficult to reflect on the darkest times in your life, but sometimes you got to do that," Diddy said on Instagram. "I was f---ed up — I hit rock bottom — but I make no excuses. My behavior on that video is inexcusable."
The video, which CNN first aired on Friday, is the latest in a months-long series of public allegations and revelations of physical and sexual violence against Combs.
In the video, Combs, wearing only a white towel, is seen apparently punching and kicking the R&B singer who was his protege and longtime girlfriend at the time. The footage also shows Combs allegedly shoving and dragging Ventura, and throwing a vase in her direction.
The security camera video, dated March 5, 2016, closely resembles the description of an incident at an InterContinental Hotel in the Century City area of Los Angeles described in a November lawsuit filed by Ventura, whose legal name is Cassandra Ventura, that alleged years of sexual abuse and other violence from Combs.
The lawsuit alleges Combs paid the hotel $50,000 for the security video. CNN did not say how it obtained the video but noted it verified the location where it was shot by comparing the footage to publicly available images of the InterContinental Hotel.
Diddy has denied the allegations in the lawsuit but neither he nor his representatives had responded on the video until Sunday.
"I take full responsibility for my actions in that video," Combs said Sunday. "I was disgusted then when I did it. I'm disgusted now. I went and I sought out professional help. I got into going to therapy, going to rehab. I had to ask God for his mercy and grace. I'm so sorry. But I'm committed to be a better man each and every day. I'm not asking for forgiveness. I'm truly sorry."
On Friday, the Los Angeles District Attorney's office said in a statement that they were "aware of the video." They said the images are "extremely disturbing and difficult to watch," but that "we would be unable to charge as the conduct would have occurred beyond the timeline where a crime of assault can be prosecuted."
A lawyer for Ventura told CBS News in a statement that Combs' statement on Sunday was "more about himself than the many people he has hurt."
"When Cassie and multiple other women came forward, he denied everything and suggested that his victims were looking for a payday," Meredith Firetog, a partner at Wigdor LLP said in a statement. "That he was only compelled to 'apologize' once his repeated denials were proven false shows his pathetic desperation, and no one will be swayed by his disingenuous words."
For anonymous, confidential help, people can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224. Or text START to 88788 or chat on TheHotline.org.
- In:
- Assault
- P Diddy
- Sean "Diddy" Combs
Lucia Suarez Sang is an associate managing editor at cbsnews.com. Previously, Lucia was the director of digital content at FOX61 News in Connecticut and has previously written for outlets including FoxNews.com, Fox News Latino and the Rutland Herald.
TwitterveryGood! (684)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Christopher Bell wins NASCAR race at Phoenix to give emotional lift to Joe Gibbs Racing
- Da'Vine Joy Randolph wins best supporting actress Oscar: 'God is so good'
- Robert Downey Jr. Credits His Terrible Childhood for First Oscar Win
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Marcia Gay Harden on a role you may not know: herself
- When does daylight saving time end? When we 'fall back', gain extra hour of sleep in 2024
- Driver pleads guilty to reduced charge in crash that killed actor Treat Williams
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Biggest moments from the 2024 Oscars, from Emma Stone's surprise win to naked John Cena
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Why Christina Applegate Is “Kind of in Hell” Amid Battle With Multiple Sclerosis
- Russell Wilson to sign with Steelers after release from Broncos becomes official, per reports
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Breaking News
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Trevor Bauer dominates in pitching appearance vs. Los Angeles Dodgers minor leaguers
- Jimmy Kimmel fires back after Trump slams 'boring' Oscars: 'Isn't it past your jail time?'
- See the Kardashian-Jenners' Night Out at the 2024 Oscars After-Parties
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Best dressed at the Oscars 2024: Lupita Nyong'o, America Ferrera, Zendaya, more dazzling fashion looks
Biden’s big speech showed his uneasy approach to abortion, an issue bound to be key in the campaign
Brutally honest reviews of Oscar best song performances, including Ryan Gosling
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Vanity Fair Oscars 2024 Party Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look as Stars Arrive
The 2024 Oscars were worse than bad. They were boring.
Our credit card debt threatens to swamp our savings. Here's how to deal with both