Current:Home > StocksDefendant in Georgia election interference case asks judge to unseal records -GrowthInsight
Defendant in Georgia election interference case asks judge to unseal records
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:26:59
Attorney Kenneth Chesebro, one of the 19 defendants in the Fulton County election interference case, filed a motion Monday asking a judge to unseal a host of underlying records in the case -- including the special grand jury report that recommended charges, the transcripts of testimony heard by the panel, and any recordings of the proceedings.
The filing came on same day that another defendant, attorney Ray Smith III, waived his formal arraignment and entered a plea of not guilty "to each and every charge of the Indictment," according to that filing.
According to Smith's filing, Smith's team believes that by filing the waiver they "are excused from appearing" at the arraignment, which Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee has set for Sept. 6 for all 19 defendants to enter their pleas in the case.
MORE: Georgia election case: Trump, other 18 defendants surrender to authorities
Chesebro is set to stand trial in the case on Oct. 23, after a judge granted his request for a speedy trial. He, Smith and former President Donald Trump were charged along with 16 others earlier this month in a sweeping racketeering indictment for alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election in the state of Georgia. The former president says his actions were not illegal and that the investigation is politically motivated.
In his motion on Monday, Chesebro's attorneys said the materials he's requesting "are critical for Chesebro to obtain in order to properly prepare for trial."
The motion said that numerous witnesses "including co-Defendants, unindicted co-conspirators, and traditional witnesses" testified before the special purpose grand jury, and that Chesebro "anticipates that many of these same people will testify at his trial."
"Finally, there is also an overarching due process concern that Mr. Chesebro have access to all prior testimony of witnesses who are expected to testify at trial (and made statements before the special purpose grand jury) in order to properly defend himself," the filing said
The special purpose grand jury -- which did not have indictment power but recommended that charges be brought -- was seated for nearly eight months and heard testimony from over 75 witnesses, including some of Trump's closest allies. A portion of its findings were released in a final report, excerpts of which were released to the public in February.
In a separate motion on Monday, Chesebro moved to conduct "voluntary interviews" of members of the separate grand jury that ultimately returned the indictment, in order to ask them if they "actually read the entire indictment or, alternatively, whether it was merely summarized for them," the filing said.
veryGood! (19276)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Watch these 15 scary TV shows for Halloween, from 'Teacup' to 'Hellbound'
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- Mike Tyson names his price after Jake Paul's $5 million incentive offer
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Florida power outage map: 2.2 million in the dark as Milton enters Atlantic
- Who still owns a landline phone? You might be surprised at what the data shows.
- BrucePac recalls 10 million pounds of ready-to-eat meat: See list of 75 products affected
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Man mauled to death by 'several dogs' in New York, prompting investigation: Police
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Donald Trump’s Daughter Tiffany Trump Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Michael Boulos
- Princess Kate makes surprise appearance with Prince William after finishing chemotherapy
- SEC, Big Ten flex muscle but won't say what College Football Playoff format they crave
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Donald Trump’s Daughter Tiffany Trump Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Michael Boulos
- While Dodgers are secretive for Game 5, Padres just want to 'pop champagne'
- Teen charged in connection with a Wisconsin prison counselor’s death pleads not guilty
Recommendation
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
Teen dies suddenly after half marathon in Missouri; family 'overwhelmed' by community's support
While Dodgers are secretive for Game 5, Padres just want to 'pop champagne'
Dove Cameron Shares Topless Photo
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Milton by the numbers: At least 5 dead, at least 12 tornadoes, 3.4M without power
If you mute Diddy songs, what about his hits with Mary J. Blige, Mariah, J. Lo and more?
Fisher-Price recalls 2 million baby swings for suffocation risk after 5 deaths