Current:Home > InvestMan dies in fire under Atlantic City pier near homeless encampment -GrowthInsight
Man dies in fire under Atlantic City pier near homeless encampment
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 12:37:19
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) — A man died in a fire under an Atlantic City pier near a homeless encampment, authorities said.
The Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office said Friday that Bruce Elder, 67, died in a fire that began Thursday evening under the Central Pier at the boardwalk and Tennessee Avenue.
Fire Chief Scott Evans said Elder was believed to be homeless, and the prosecutor’s office said he appeared to be sleeping when the fire broke out. An autopsy was to be performed to determine his cause of death.
“This was an unfortunate tragedy,” Evans said. “We have dealings with encampments under the pier and boardwalk almost on a daily basis. This is an area known to be used by the homeless.”
The prosecutor’s office said “a small homeless encampment was observed in the area of the fire,’' adding a small campfire had been set near where Elder’s body was found.
“Although the fire was intentionally set, it does not appear to be criminal in nature,” the prosecutor’s office said.
The fire spread upward, damaging the structure of part of the pier and some buildings above it. Evans said a large storage building appeared to suffer the heaviest damage, along with a rear section of a 99-cent store, and about 10% of an arcade on the pier.
Evans said some repairs need to be made to their pier itself and some of its buildings, but he was optimistic it could be reopened safely before Memorial Day weekend.
Damage from the fire did not extend to the main section of the Boardwalk. which remained intact and open on Friday.
The fire broke out at 7:06 p.m. and went to a second alarm by 7:30 p.m., the fire chief said.
About 50 firefighters battled the blaze for three hours, struggling against winds off the ocean that fanned the flames under the pier, Evans said.
It was at least the second fire on Atlantic City’s Boardwalk in recent months. In November, fire burned a section of Boardwalk outside Resorts casino not far from where Thursday’s fire broke out. The cause of that fire was never pinned down, although the actions of homeless people underneath the wooden walkway was one of several possibilities, Evans said.
In Nov. 2009, the pier was hit by two fires weeks apart. On Nov. 21, a fire damaged four businesses on the pier. Then on Dec. 5, the badly decomposed body of a homeless man was found under the pier by firefighters called to yet another blaze. Authorities later said he did not appear to have been the victim of foul play.
___
Follow Wayne Parry on X, formerly Twitter, at www.twitter.com/WayneParryAC
veryGood! (61)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- John Krasinski named People's Sexiest Man Alive for 2024
- TikToker Campbell “Pookie” Puckett Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Jett Puckett
- Pennsylvania House Republicans pick new floor leader after failing to regain majority
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Trump pledged to roll back protections for transgender students. They’re flooding crisis hotlines
- Judge recuses himself in Arizona fake elector case after urging response to attacks on Kamala Harris
- Mississippi man charged with shooting 5 people after not being allowed into party
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Champions Classic is for elite teams. So why is Michigan State still here? | Opinion
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- ‘Maybe Happy Ending’ review: Darren Criss shines in one of the best musicals in years
- Sister Wives’ Meri Brown Shares Hysterical Farmers Only Dating Profile Video After Kody Split
- Summer I Turned Pretty's Gavin Casalegno Marries Girlfriend Cheyanne Casalegno
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Ex-Duke star Kyle Singler draws concern from basketball world over cryptic Instagram post
- A pregnant woman sues for the right to an abortion in challenge to Kentucky’s near-total ban
- Ben Foster Files for Divorce From Laura Prepon After 6 Years of Marriage
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Mike Tyson impresses crowd during workout ahead of Jake Paul fight
GM recalling big pickups and SUVs because the rear wheels can lock up, increasing risk of a crash
Roy Haynes, Grammy-winning jazz drummer, dies at 99: Reports
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Princess Kate to host annual Christmas carol service following cancer treatment
As the transition unfolds, Trump eyes one of his favorite targets: US intelligence
MLS Star Marco Angulo Dead at 22 One Month After Car Crash