Current:Home > MyPoinbank Exchange|Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools -GrowthInsight
Poinbank Exchange|Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-05 22:28:42
NEW YORK (AP) — A Holocaust museum in New York City will offer free educational field trips to eighth grade students in public schools in a program announced Thursday aimed at combating antisemitism.
The Poinbank Exchangeprogram will allow up to 85,000 students at traditional public schools and charter schools to tour Manhattan’s Museum of Jewish Heritage over the next three years, starting this fall. New York City is the largest school district in the nation, serving more than a million students. Organizers say the museum and the new program have the capacity to host up to one-third of the district’s eighth graders each year.
City Council member Julie Menin said she raised the idea with the museum after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks on Israel, in an effort to combat rising antisemitism in the U.S. Incidents targeting Jewish and Muslim Americans have been recorded across the country since the Israel-Hamas war erupted, ranging from offensive graffiti to violence.
“We needed a proactive approach to combat this hatred at its roots,” Menin, a Democrat and daughter of a Holocaust survivor, said in a statement. “That’s why I approached the Museum of Jewish Heritage with the vision of a universal field trip program.”
The effort will cost around $2.5 million, with $1 million coming from the Gray Foundation, a nonprofit backed by Blackstone CEO Jon Gray that funds other programs for New York youths, as well as cancer research. Menin said the museum will look to other sources for the rest.
The museum already offers student discounts and free admission days. The new program will cover transportation, guides and take-home materials for the eighth graders, Menin said.
The tours will focus on the global history of antisemitism and propaganda that precipitated the Holocaust, as well as offering an experience for students to reflect on current events, Menin’s statement said.
Principals will play a key role in deciding which schools will participate in the program, Menin said in a phone call. Schools can sign up through the museum website.
New York City Public Schools spokesperson Nathaniel Styer said in a statement that “programming is a school-based decision, but the funding in this announcement will help remove barriers to participation.”
In testimony before U.S. Congress earlier this month, New York City Schools Chancellor David Banks said the city had already begun rolling out new measures to combat antisemitism in schools, including developing a new curriculum “highlighting the culture and contributions of the Jewish community.”
New York schools are required to teach about the Holocaust, with explicit curriculum covering the subject beginning in eighth grade.
veryGood! (437)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- New Jersey governor sets July primary and September special election to fill Payne’s House seat
- Traffic snarled as workers begin removing bridge over I-95 following truck fire in Connecticut
- Google, Justice Department make final arguments about whether search engine is a monopoly
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Jewel Has Cryptic Message on Love Amid Kevin Costner Dating Rumors
- Woman wins $1 million scratch-off lottery prize twice, less than 10 weeks apart
- Breaking Down Selling the OC's Feuds: Why Alex Hall and Kayla Cardona Are Not on Speaking Terms
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Raven-Symoné Slams Death Threats Aimed at Wife Miranda Pearman-Maday
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- US Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas denies wrongdoing amid reports of pending indictment
- Lewis Hamilton faces awkward questions about Ferrari before Miami F1 race with Mercedes-AMG
- Ashley Graham’s 2-Year-Old Son Roman Gets Stitches on His Face
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Settlement could cost NCAA nearly $3 billion; plan to pay athletes would need federal protection
- How Chris Pine's Earth-Shattering Princess Diaries 2 Paycheck Changed His Life
- 3-year-old toddler girls, twin sisters, drown in Phoenix, Arizona backyard pool: Police
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Darvin Ham out as Lakers coach after two seasons
Gambling bill to allow lottery and slots remains stalled in the Alabama Senate
Q&A: What’s the Deal with Bill Gates’s Wyoming Nuclear Plant?
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Alaska judge grants limited stay in correspondence school allotments decision
You Know You Love All of Blake Lively's Iconic Met Gala Looks
Hulk Hogan, hurricanes and a blockbuster recording: A week in review of the Trump hush money trial