Current:Home > FinanceGuinea-Bissau’s leader calls a shootout an attempted coup, heightening tensions in West Africa -GrowthInsight
Guinea-Bissau’s leader calls a shootout an attempted coup, heightening tensions in West Africa
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:09:51
BISSAU, Guinea Bissau (AP) — A shootout in Guinea-Bissau’s capital Friday was an attempted coup, President Umaro Sissoco Embalo said Sunday after a meeting with security forces, confirming fears over the latest threat to democracy in the increasingly volatile and coup-hit West Africa.
“They attempted a coup and failed to materialize their objective,” Embalo said, after members of the National Guard command improperly released two ministers detained over alleged corruption, resulting in a shootout with the Presidential Palace Battalion.
During a visit to the National Guard command in Bissau, Embalo said Victor Tchongo, the head of the National Guard, has been dismissed and “will pay dearly” for the attempt to depose the president.
“You are all betrayed by your commander … (and) this is why we advise you to distance yourself from politicians and do your service to the nation,” he told officers.
The attempted coup is the second in West and Central Africa in a week after last week’s failed coup in Sierra Leone. It further raises tensions in the region where coups have surged with eight military takeovers since 2020, including in Niger and Gabon this year.
West Africa’s regional economic bloc of ECOWAS — to which Guinea-Bissau belongs — noted the incident with “deep concern” and expressed “full solidarity with the people and constitutional authority of Guinea-Bissau.”
After returning from the United Nations’ COP28 climate summit on Saturday night, Embalo suggested to reporters that Tchongo of the National Guard was not acting alone.
“Tchongo was ordered by someone,” The Democrat, a local newspaper, quoted him as saying. “Tchongo is not crazy about blowing up the Judiciary Police cells and removing the minister of finance and the secretary of state. This is an attempted coup d’état and there will be serious consequences for everyone involved.”
The small nation of Guinea-Bissau has endured multiple coups since gaining independence from Portugal nearly five decades ago.
However, unlike in other coups in West Africa which have been inspired by perceived bad governance, the shootout in Guinea-Bissau started as the members of the Presidential Palace Battalion tried to rearrest two government officials — Economy and Finance Minister Suleimane Seidi and Treasury Secretary António Monteiro.
Both were being questioned over the use of government funds before the members of the National Guard secretly released them, local media reported.
Guinea-Bissau’s semi-presidential system limits the president’s powers by allowing the majority party in the parliament to appoint the Cabinet. As a result, the National Guard – which is under the Ministry of Interior – is largely controlled by the opposition-dominated parliament.
Tensions have also remained between Embalo and a coalition of opposition groups that won the majority in Guinea Bissau’s parliament in June, more than one year after the president dissolved the parliament.
Embalo, a former army general, was declared the winner of a December 2019 runoff presidential election which his opponent contested. He survived a February 2022 coup attempt that he asserted had “to do with our fight against narco-trafficking” and has since then cracked down on civic freedoms while government bodies have lost significant independence, according to analysts.
—-
Asadu reported from Abuja, Nigeria.
veryGood! (44512)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- RuPaul's Drag Race Alum Farrah Moan Comes Out as Transgender
- Vin Diesel accused of sexual battery by former assistant in new lawsuit
- Police launch probe into alleged abduction of British teen Alex Batty who went missing 6 years ago
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Connecticut man gets 12 years in prison for failed plan to fight for Islamic State in Syria
- Remy and the Jets: How passing down my love (and hate) of sports brings so much joy
- Gaza mother lost hope that her son, born in a war zone, had survived. Now they're finally together.
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Russian official says US is hampering a prisoner exchange with unequal demands
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- 2023 was the year return-to-office died. Experts share remote work trends expected in 2024
- Where to donate books near me: Check out these maps for drop-off locations in your area
- Former Kenyan minister and 2 others charged with fraud over hospitality college project
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Save 57% on the Tarte Sculpting Wand That Slims My Face After Eating Too Many Christmas Cookies This Year
- A storm in Europe disrupts German trains. A woman was killed by a falling Christmas tree in Belgium
- U.S. charges Hezbollah operative who allegedly planned 1994 Argentina bombing that killed 85
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Atlanta school system will now pay $1,000 bonus to employees after state superintendent’s criticism
US land managers plan to round up thousands of wild horses across Nevada
Xfinity data breach, Comcast hack affects nearly 36 million customers: What to know
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Reducing Methane From Livestock Is Critical for Stabilizing the Climate, but Congress Continues to Block Farms From Reporting Emissions Anyway
The Impact of Restrictive Abortion Laws in 2023
Predicting next year's economic storylines