Current:Home > MyJohnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case -GrowthInsight
Johnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 19:21:45
Johnson & Johnson has agreed to pay $700 million in a nationwide settlement resolving allegations that it misled customers about the safety of its talcum-based powder products in its marketing.
"Consumers rely on accurate information when making decisions about which products to purchase for their families," Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul, one of 43 attorneys general involved in the lawsuit, said in a statement Tuesday. "Any company — no matter how large — must be held accountable when laws protecting consumers are broken and their trust is violated."
As part of the settlement, which is still pending judicial approval, the health products giant will permanently stop the manufacturing, promotion and sale of all of its baby powder and other body and cosmetic products that contain talcum powder. That includes Johnson's Baby Powder and Johnson & Johnson's Shower to Shower. The company decided to pull talc-based powders off the market in North America in 2020.
J&J will make four settlement payments, starting at the end of July, to 42 states and Washington, D.C., according to the settlement.
In a statement, J&J's worldwide vice president of litigation, Erik Hass, said the company "continues to pursue several paths to achieve a comprehensive and final resolution of the talc litigation. That progress includes the finalization of a previously announced agreement that the Company reached with a consortium of 43 State Attorneys Generals to resolve their talc claims. We will continue to address the claims of those who do not want to participate in our contemplated consensual bankruptcy resolution through litigation or settlement."
The $700 million settlement is the latest development in decade-long legal battles and investigations into links between cancer and the talc used in one of its best-known products. More than 50,000 claims have been filed against the company, mostly on behalf of women who developed ovarian cancer.
Earlier this month, a jury in Oregon awarded $260 million to a local woman who claimed that the company's baby powder products were "directly responsible" for her cancer diagnosis in 2003. In April, a jury awarded $45 million to the family of an Illinois woman who died in 2020 from mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos in J&J powder.
Last month, J&J offered to pay $6.5 billion to settle the talc-powder lawsuits.
- In:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Class-Action Lawsuit
Khristopher J. Brooks is a reporter for CBS MoneyWatch. He previously worked as a reporter for the Omaha World-Herald, Newsday and the Florida Times-Union. His reporting primarily focuses on the U.S. housing market, the business of sports and bankruptcy.
TwitterveryGood! (1531)
Related
- Small twin
- Children of imprisoned Iranian activist Narges Mohammadi to accept Nobel Peace Prize on her behalf
- Columbus Crew vs. Los Angeles FC MLS Cup 2023: Live stream, time, date, odds, how to watch
- 'She was a pure creator.' The art world rediscovers Surrealist painter Leonor Fini
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Turkey’s Erdogan accuses the West of ‘barbarism’ and Islamophobia in the war in Gaza
- Minnesota grocery store clerk dies after customer impales him with a golf club, police say
- Tom Brady and Irina Shayk Reunite During Art Basel Miami Beach
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- How Felicity Huffman Is Rebuilding Her Life After the College Admissions Scandal
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- The inauguration of Javier Milei has Argentina wondering what kind of president it will get
- Tom Brady and Irina Shayk Reunite During Art Basel Miami Beach
- Rockets fired at U.S. Embassy in Iraq as Mideast violence keeps escalating
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- How Kyle Richards, Teresa Giudice and More Bravo Stars Are Celebrating the 2023 Holidays
- A British Palestinian surgeon gave testimony to a UK war crimes unit after returning from Gaza
- Where to watch 'The Polar Express': Streaming info, TV channel showtimes, cast
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Over 300 Rohingya Muslims fleeing Myanmar arrive in Indonesia’s Aceh region after weeks at sea
Psst, Reformation’s Winter Sale is Here and It’s Your last Chance to Snag Your Fave Pieces Up to 40% Off
Alo Yoga's 40% Off Sale Has Bras Starting at $34 & We Can't Click Fast Enough
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
3 Alabama officers fired in connection to fatal shooting of Black man at his home
Israel presses on with Gaza bombardments, including in areas where it told civilians to flee
3 Alabama officers fired in connection to fatal shooting of Black man at his home