Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Eight Israeli soldiers killed in southern Gaza, IDF says -GrowthInsight
Indexbit Exchange:Eight Israeli soldiers killed in southern Gaza, IDF says
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:50:39
The Indexbit ExchangeIsrael Defense Forces said Saturday that eight soldiers were killed in southern Gaza in the deadliest attack on Israeli forces in months.
The troops were killed in an explosion, the army said, without elaborating. The deaths will likely fuel calls for a cease-fire and heighten Israeli public anger over ultra-Orthodox exemptions from the military.
In January, 21 Israeli troops were killed in a single attack by Palestinian militants in Gaza.
Last month, Israel's Supreme Court ordered an end to government subsidies for many ultra-Orthodox men who don't serve in the army. A new draft law hasn't been passed, but the coalition of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu this week voted in favor of extending exemptions for religious men. Although the vote was only procedural, it caused an uproar by being approved during a war in which hundreds of soldiers have died and many others remain inside Gaza or on the front lines against Hezbollah militants in Lebanon.
Yoav Gallant, Israel's Defense Minister and member of the country's War Cabinet, has insisted that all sectors of Israeli society should contribute equally during its war against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.
Israel's coalition government contains a powerful bloc of ultra-Orthodox parties that have been longtime partners of Netanyahu. If these parties leave the government, the country would be forced into new elections, with Netanyahu trailing significantly in the polls amid the war.
In Tel Aviv, anti-government protests have been ongoing for months, with many demonstrators calling for the immediate return of the hostages, along with Netanyahu's resignation.
Israel's bombardment and ground offensives in Gaza have killed more than 37,000 Palestinians, according to Palestinian health officials, who don't give the breakdown of civilians and fighters. The war has also driven about 80% of the population of 2.3 million from their homes, and Israeli restrictions and ongoing fighting have hindered efforts to bring in humanitarian aid, fueling widespread hunger.
Months of cease-fire negotiations have failed to find common ground between Israeli and Hamas. On Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that Hamas proposed changes to a U.S.-backed plan, some of which he said were "workable" and some not, without elaborating.
Israel launched its campaign after Hamas and other militants stormed into Israel on Oct. 7, killing some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and taking around 250 hostage. Over 100 hostages were released during a weeklong cease-fire last year in exchange for Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. Hamas is believed to be holding around 80 hostages and the remains of another 40.
Hamas has continually called for a permanent cease-fire and complete Israeli troop withdrawal from Gaza as part of any deal that would see the hostages released. While the proposal announced by U.S. President Joe Biden includes these two provisions, Hamas has expressed concern about whether Israel will commit to them.
Violence has flared in the West Bank since the Israel-Hamas war erupted. On Saturday, a 16-year-old Palestinian was shot dead by Israeli forces near the northern city of Nablus, the Ramallah-based Health Ministry said. The Israeli army didn't immediately respond to request for comment about the shooting.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
veryGood! (1686)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Meghan Markle Turns Heads in Red Gown During Surprise Appearance at Children’s Hospital Gala
- Ole Miss QB Jaxson Dart responds after South Carolina's gun celebration
- The Latest: New analysis says both Trump and Harris’ plans would increase the deficit
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Andrew Garfield recalls sex scene with Florence Pugh went 'further' because they didn't hear cut
- Celine Dion makes rare appearance during Steelers vs Cowboys game promo
- Krispy Kreme scares up Ghostbusters doughnut collection: Here are the new flavors
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Coach Outlet’s New Designer Fall Styles Include a $398 Handbag for $99 & More Under $150 Luxury Finds
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Two Mississippi Delta health centers awarded competitive federal grant for maternal care
- Eviction prevention in Los Angeles helps thousands, including landlords
- Florida prepares for massive evacuations as Hurricane Milton takes aim at major metro areas
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Sister Wives’ Kody Brown Says Marriage to Robyn Has Been Hurt More Than Relationships With His Kids
- Tia Mowry Details Why Her Siblings Are “Not as Accessible” to Each Other
- Two boys, ages 12 and 13, charged in assault on ex-NY Gov. David Paterson and his stepson
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Bruins free-agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman signs 8-year, $66 million deal
Billie Jean King named grand marshal for the 136th Rose Parade on Jan. 1
Tropical Storm Milton could hit Florida as a major hurricane midweek
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
San Jose State women's volleyball team has been thrown into debate after forfeits
Salmon swim freely in the Klamath River for 1st time in a century after dams removed
Al Pacino 'didn't have a pulse' during near-death experience while battling COVID-19