Current:Home > reviewsPacific storm dumps heavy rains, unleashes flooding in California coastal cities -GrowthInsight
Pacific storm dumps heavy rains, unleashes flooding in California coastal cities
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 20:09:34
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) — A Pacific storm pounded parts of Southern California on Thursday with heavy rain and street flooding, adding to hassles as holiday travel got underway.
The downpours targeted coastal Ventura and Santa Barbara counties northwest of Los Angeles County, swamping areas in the cities of Port Hueneme, Oxnard and Santa Barbara.
Rainfall rates exceeding 3 inches (7.6 centimeters) an hour unleashed flash flooding in Ventura County, the National Weather Service said. Later in the morning, streets began filling with water in parts of Santa Barbara as the storm delivered another deluge.
Sven Dybdahl, owner of olive oil and vinegar store Viva Oliva in downtown Santa Barbara, said he had trouble finding dry routes to work Thursday morning, but most of the heavy rains and flooding had receded shortly before 11 a.m. He said he was grateful that the weather is only expected to be an issue for a few days at the tail end of the holiday shopping season, otherwise he’d be worried about how the rains would affect his store’s bottom line.
“It will have an impact but thankfully it’s happening quite late,” he said.
The city of Port Hueneme issued evacuation orders for residences on four streets and warned of potential evacuations on four other streets. About 60 houses were affected by the orders, all in a senior citizen community, said Firefighter Andy VanSciver, a Ventura County fire spokesperson. An evacuation center was set up at a college gymnasium.
Three people from the senior community were taken to hospitals out of an abundance of caution, and there were multiple rescues of drivers from flooded vehicles, he said.
The city of Oxnard said in a social media post that many streets and intersections were heavily impacted. “Please stay off the city streets for the next several hours until the water recedes,” the post said.
The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning for Oxnard and the city of Ventura at 1:28 a.m. due to a high-intensity thunderstorm, but no tornado activity was immediately observed, the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office said in a social media post.
Hours later at Heritage Coffee and Gifts in downtown Oxnard, manager Carlos Larios said the storm hadn’t made a dent in their Thursday morning rush despite “gloomy” skies.
“People are still coming in to get coffee, which is surprising,” he said. “I don’t think the rain is going to stop many people from being out and about.”
The storm swept through Northern California earlier in the week as the center of the low-pressure system slowly moved south off the coast. Forecasters described it as a “cutoff low,” a storm that is cut off from the general west-to-east flow and can linger for days, increasing the amount of rainfall.
The system was producing hit-and-miss bands of precipitation rather than generalized widespread rainfall. Forecasters said the low would wobble slightly away from the coast on Thursday, drawing moisture away and allowing some sunshine, but will return.
The San Diego-area weather office warned that rather than fizzling, the storm was gathering energy and its main core would move through that region overnight through Friday morning.
Meanwhile, Californians were gearing up for holiday travel and finishing preparations for Christmas. The Automobile Club of Southern California predicted 9.5 million people in the region would travel during the year-end holiday period.
The Northeast was hit with an unexpectedly strong storm earlier this week, and some parts of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont were still digging out from rain and wind damage. Parts of Maine along the Androscoggin and Kennebec rivers were hit especially hard.
Floodwaters were receding throughout northern New England, though some localized areas were still in the flood stage, said Jon Palmer, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. Flood warnings were also still in effect in parts of Maine and New Hampshire, he said.
At least four people died in Maine as a result of the storm.
The storm cut power to 400,000 customers in Maine, and restoration was still underway Thursday morning.
—-
Antczak reported from Los Angeles. Associated Press reporters Stefanie Dazio in Los Angeles and Patrick Whittle in Portland, Maine, contributed to this report.
veryGood! (878)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- PEN America calls off awards ceremony amid criticism over its response to Israel-Hamas war
- The Daily Money: Want to live near good schools?
- Maui officials push back on some details in Hawaii attorney general report on deadly wildfire
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- WWE partnering with UFC, will move NXT Battleground 2024 to UFC APEX facility
- Seven big-name college football standouts who could be in for long wait in 2024 NFL draft
- Searchable NFL 2024 draft order: Easy way to see every teams' picks from Rounds 1 to 7
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- 5 people found dead, including children, in Oklahoma City home, police say
Ranking
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Wall Street is looking to Tesla’s earnings for clues to Musk’s plan to restore company’s wild growth
- Rachel McAdams Shares How Her Family Is Supporting Her Latest Career Milestone
- Several Alabama elementary students hospitalized after van crashes into tree
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Lawmakers criticize CIA’s handling of sexual misconduct but offer few specifics
- 2 hunters may have died of prion disease from eating contaminated deer meat, researchers say
- What happened to Kid Cudi? Coachella set ends abruptly after broken foot
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
‘Catch-and-kill’ to be described to jurors as testimony resumes in hush money trial of Donald Trump
Florida State vs. ACC: Takeaways from court hearing as FSU's lawsuit hits a snag
Key takeaways from the opening statements in Donald Trump’s hush money trial
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Public school advocates again face how to stop school choice in Nebraska
2024 NFL mock draft: Six QBs make first-round cut as trade possibilities remain
California legislators prepare to vote on a crackdown on utility spending