Current:Home > ContactFormer Nickelodeon TV show creator Dan Schneider denies toxic workplace allegations -GrowthInsight
Former Nickelodeon TV show creator Dan Schneider denies toxic workplace allegations
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:48:23
Former Nickelodeon show creator and writer Dan Schneider is denying any inappropriate behavior under his watch following the Investigation Discovery documentary "Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV."
"Everything that happened on the shows Dan ran was carefully scrutinized by dozens of involved adults, and approved by the network. Had there been any scenes or outfits that were inappropriate in any way, they would have been flagged and blocked by this multilayered scrutiny," a spokesperson for the producer said in a statement shared with USA TODAY Monday.
"Quiet on Set" premiered on Sunday. The four-part docuseries features a multitude of allegations from child actors and members of production who claim they experienced abuse, sexism, racism, inappropriate friendships between adults and children and more while working for Schneider's Nickelodeon series.
In part one of the docuseries, former writers alleged they suffered under strenuous hours, a lack of bathroom breaks, combative behavior from Schneider when they questioned some of the content written into shows and the female writers being forced to split salaries.
"Dan expected and asked a lot from his teams. They worked long hours and consistently made successful shows. In the challenges of production, Dan could get frustrated at times, and he understands why some employees found that intimidating and stressful," Schneider's spokesperson said.
"In a career spanning 30+ years, Dan worked with thousands of people, many of whom still tell him how much they enjoyed and appreciated working on his shows. But he also knows some people did not have a positive experience, and he is truly sorry for that. Dan knows he should have done better and feels awful about anyone who saw him at his worst, instead of his best."
Among the questionable content were skits involving a heavy focus on feet, Leon Frierson being made to wear a costume adorned with large noses that resembled a penis, and a character played by Amanda Bynes on "The Amanda Show" named Penelope Taynt, referring to the area of the body between your genitals.
Schneider created Nickelodeon programs "The Amanda Show," "Drake & Josh," "Zoey 101," "iCarly," "Victorious" and more. He previously rose in the rankings for his writing on "All That," "Good Burger" and "Kenan & Kel."
The spokesperson added: "Remember, all stories, dialogue, costumes, and makeup were fully approved by network executives on two coasts. A standards and practices group read and ultimately approved every script, and programming executives reviewed and approved all episodes. In addition, every day on every set, there were always parents and caregivers and their friends watching filming and rehearsals.”
"If there was an actual problem with the scenes that some people, now years later are ‘sexualizing,’ they would be taken down, but they are not, they are aired constantly all over the world today still, enjoyed by both kids and parents," the statement concluded.
Nickelodeon cast and crew alleged racism, gender discrimination and sexual assault in 'Quiet on Set'
Bryan Hearne and Giovonnie Samuels opened up about the racism they experienced and the stereotyped roles they were assigned during their time on Nickelodeon while appearing in "Quiet on Set."
"Someone said the skin tone should be charcoal. I started to get teary eyed," Hearne recalls in the docuseries while discussing a skit he was assigned to play a rapper named "Lil Fetus."
In an interview with People shared Monday, Samuels discussed her friendship with Hearne, sharing, "I didn't realize the significance of the impact that I made on people being the only representation they had on television and going through, I hate to call it a trauma bond, but at least having somebody with me that I could talk to, not just as a child actor, but also culturally.”
'Quiet on Set':Drake Bell alleges 'extensive,' 'brutal' sexual abuse by Nickelodeon dialogue coach Brian Peck
Drake Bell, who appears in the third episode of the docuseries, came forward as the sexual abuse victim of former Nickelodeon dialogue coach Brian Peck. Peck was arrested in August 2003 and convicted in 2004 on charges of lewd acts with a child that stemmed from a 2001 incident. Bell had not previously disclosed himself as the plaintiff in that case.
"The abuse was extensive, and it got pretty brutal. I really don't know how to elaborate on that on camera," Bell said. "Why don't you do this: Why don't you think of the worst stuff that someone could do to somebody as a sexual assault, and that will answer your question. It was not a one-time thing."
Bell says this traumatic period of his life led him to engage in "a lot of self-destruction," including alcohol and substance abuse.
In a statement to USA TODAY, Nickelodeon said, "Though we cannot corroborate or negate allegations of behaviors from productions decades ago, Nickelodeon as a matter of policy investigates all formal complaints as part of our commitment to fostering a safe and professional workplace environment free of harassment or other kinds of inappropriate conduct."
The network added: "Our highest priorities are the well-being and best interests not just of our employees, casts and crew, but of all children, and we have adopted numerous safeguards over the years to help ensure we are living up to our own high standards and the expectations of our audience."
James Marsden, Taran Killamwrote support letters for Brian Peck amid Drake Bell abuse case
How to watch 'Quiet on Set'
Parts one and two of "Quiet on Set" aired on ID on March 17 and are available to stream on Max. Parts two and four will air on ID on Monday, March 18, at 9 EDT/PDT.
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, RAINN offers support through the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE and online.rainn.org).
MenHealing provides resources and services for adult males who have been sexually victimized during childhood or as adults. You can visit their website for more information or follow MenHealing on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
veryGood! (726)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- As Solar Booms in the California Desert, Locals Feel ‘Overburdened’
- 1000-Lb. Sisters' Amy Slaton Shares New Photos of Her Kids After Arrest
- Arizona counties won’t be forced to do citizenship checks before the election, a judge rules
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- When does 'Fabulous Lives vs. Bollywood Wives' come out? Season 3 release date, cast
- What’s behind the widening gender wage gap in the US?
- Ex-husband of ‘Real Housewives’ star gets seven years for hiring mobster to assault her boyfriend
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Camille Kostek Shares How Rob Gronkowski's BFF Tom Brady Remains in the Family
- Justice Department to monitor voting in Ohio county after sheriff’s comment about Harris supporters
- Co-founder of cosmetics company manifests Taylor Swift wearing her product
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- See Cher, Olivia Culpo and More Stars Attending the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2024
- Tom Brady's bid to buy part of Raiders approved by NFL owners after lengthy wait
- Prosecutors will not file criminal charges against 2 people at center of Los Angeles racism scandal
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
The Super Bowl will return to Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium in 2028
Tennessee Titans expected to release veteran Jamal Adams, per report
Lawyers for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs ask judge to release identities of his accusers
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Former Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Jake E. Lee shot multiple times in Las Vegas
NFL owners approve Jacksonville’s $1.4 billion ‘stadium of the future’ set to open in 2028
Jury seated for Indiana trial of suspect in 2017 killings of 2 teen girls