Current:Home > FinanceCamp Pendleton Marine raped girl, 14, in barracks, her family claims -GrowthInsight
Camp Pendleton Marine raped girl, 14, in barracks, her family claims
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:57:32
The Navy has taken an active-duty Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton into custody after a missing 14-year-old girl was found in the barracks, CBS News Los Angeles's Matthew Rodriguez reports.
In a statement obtained by CBS News Friday, a spokesperson for the base north of San Diego says the Marine was detained "for questioning by Naval Criminal Investigative Services after a female minor was found in the barracks on June 28, 2023, as seen on a number of social media posts on and after July 2, 2023.
"This command takes this matter and all allegations very seriously," the statement continued. "This incident is under investigation and we will continue to cooperate with NCIS and appropriate authorities."
It was unclear whether the Marine was still being held.
Rodriguez cites the San Diego County Sheriff's Department as saying the teenager ran away from home on June 9. At first, her grandmother waited to call police since her granddaughter had run away before but always returned quickly.
But after several days passed, the grandmother called deputies and reported her missing on June 13.
The teen was found in late June inside Camp Pendleton and returned to her grandmother, the sheriff's department said.
"Since Camp Pendleton is federal property, the Naval Criminal Investigative Services (NCIS) is handling the investigation," the sheriff's department added. "The Sheriff's Department and the San Diego Human Trafficking Task Force are supporting NCIS with the investigation."
The teen's family is accusing the Marine of raping the 14-year-old and the Navy of trying to cover it up.
In a TikTok video posted Thursday, a woman identifying herself as the girl's aunt, Casaundra Perez, says her niece is under the age of 18 and has learning disabilities. Perez says the teen went missing June 10, a day later than San Diego authorities reported, and was found in the barracks on June 27, a day earlier than other media reports stated.
"She had been sold to a soldier for sex," Perez asserted. "The military is trying to cover it up ... and place (a) majority of the blame on her. However, the reality is the whole facility allowed this to happen. The security looked her in the face and allowed this man to bring a minor onto base, where he then proceeded to have sex with her. ... Our family is worried about retaliation form the military and the man that has trafficked my niece. We believe they could be working together and covering this up and that the military is only trying to protect their property."
The Navy hasn't responded directly to the rape allegation.
veryGood! (773)
Related
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Ranking
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high