Current:Home > InvestPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Hong Kong man jailed for 6 years after pleading guilty to a terrorism charge over a foiled bomb plot -GrowthInsight
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Hong Kong man jailed for 6 years after pleading guilty to a terrorism charge over a foiled bomb plot
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:28:37
HONG KONG (AP) — A Hong Kong man was sentenced Thursday to six years in prison after pleading guilty to a terrorism charge under a Beijing-imposed national security law for his involvement in a foiled plot to bomb court buildings.
Prosecutors said Ho Yu-wang,PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center 19, was the plot mastermind who planned to manufacture explosives and target court buildings in 2021. The plot, involving mostly secondary students back then, was foiled due to a police investigation, while no bombs were made and no casualties occurred, the prosecution earlier said.
Police said they raided a guesthouse room in 2021 and seized equipment believed to be used for making explosives. They also alleged Ho had written notes saying that his goal was to destabilize Hong Kong, promote conflicts between the central government and others, and build up a resistance group.
Two other defendants received a jail term of up to six years for an alternative charge.
Ho is a lesser-known activist in the semi-autonomous city’s pro-democracy movement, but his case has drawn attention because most of those arrested for the plot were students when the prosecution began about two years ago.
In May, Ho pleaded guilty to conspiracy to organize, plan or commit terrorist activities under the security law imposed on the former British colony following the 2019 protests.
The security law enacted in 2020 criminalizes acts of succession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces, leading to the prosecution of many leading activists in the city. Beijing and Hong Kong authorities hailed it for bringing back stability to the financial hub.
Judge Alex Lee said if the plot had been carried out it would have changed the social conditions in Hong Kong from bad to worse, and Ho had disregarded the rule of law and the risks of his “fellow gangsters.”
He reduced his term from a starting point of 10 years, based on grounds that Ho made a timely plea and provided practical assistance to the police later.
In his mitigation, Lee heard that Ho was grateful he had been arrested, barring his plan from materializing in the end, and that he has changed his mindset and resumed his studies, particularly of Chinese history.
Two other defendants — Kwok Man-hei, 21, and Cheung Ho-yeung, 23 — were sentenced to two-and-a-half years and six years in jail respectively. They pleaded guilty to conspiring to cause explosions that were likely to endanger life and property, an alternative to the terrorism charge that falls under a separate law.
In May, four people involved in the plot were already sentenced to jail or rehabilitation-focused training centers following their guilty plea of the alternative charge.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- 'A race against time:' video shows New Jersey firefighters freeing dog from tire rim
- Why Frankie Muniz says he would 'never' let his son be a child star
- Powerball jackpot grows to $800 million after no winner in Saturday night's drawing
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Find Out How You Can Get Up To 85% Off These Trendy Michael Kors Bags
- Men’s March Madness Sunday recap: UConn, Duke, Houston, Purdue reach Sweet 16
- Candiace Dillard Bassett Leaving Real Housewives of Potomac After Season 8
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Ex-NBA guard Ben Gordon, arrested for juice shop disturbance, gets program that could erase charges
Ranking
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Must-Have Items from Amazon's Big Sale That Will Make It Look like a Professional Organized Your Closet
- Kate, Princess of Wales, announces cancer diagnosis, says she is undergoing preventative chemotherapy
- 'American Idol': Former 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo Galavis makes surprise cameo for daughter's audition
- 'Most Whopper
- The abortion pill battle is heading to the Supreme Court this week. Here's what to know.
- Harry and Meghan speak out after Princess Kate cancer diagnosis
- Lil Jon swaps crunk for calm with new album Total Meditation
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Trump could learn Monday how NY wants to collect $457M owed in his civil fraud case
Justin Fields 'oozes talent,' but Russell Wilson in 'pole position' for Steelers QB job
Linda L. Bean, entrepreneur and granddaughter of L.L. Bean founder, dies at 82
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Shohei Ohtani to make first comments since illegal gambling, theft allegations against interpreter
Illinois parole official quits after police say a freed felon attacked a woman and killed her son
What do we know about Princess Kate's cancer diagnosis so far? Doctors share insights