Current:Home > NewsPrince Harry loses legal case against U.K. government over downgraded security -GrowthInsight
Prince Harry loses legal case against U.K. government over downgraded security
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 19:21:41
Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday. Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.
The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media. His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry's security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke's safety.
A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.
The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the "tragic death" of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the "likely significant public upset were a successful attack" on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.
The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.
- A look at Prince Harry's legal battles against U.K. media
In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).
He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an "honest opinion" and wasn't libelous.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London's police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn't be used as "private bodyguards for the wealthy."
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
veryGood! (47434)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- NASA shares new data on Death Valley's rare 'Lake Manly' showing just how deep it got
- Supreme Court agrees to hear dispute over Biden administration's ghost guns rule
- US House Judiciary Committee chair seeks details from ATF on airport director shooting
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- West Virginia confirms first measles case since 2009
- Celebrity designer Nancy Gonzalez sentenced to prison for smuggling handbags made of python skin
- Knicks go up 2-0 in first round of NBA playoffs after Sixers blow lead in final minute
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Celebrity blitz: Tom Brady set up for 'live, unedited' roast on Netflix next month
Ranking
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Florida State vs. ACC: Takeaways from court hearing as FSU's lawsuit hits a snag
- Mall retailer Express files for bankruptcy, company closing nearly 100 stores
- How Zendaya Really Feels About Turning 30 Soon
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Supreme Court agrees to hear dispute over Biden administration's ghost guns rule
- The riskiest moment in dating, according to Matthew Hussey
- Tennessee’s GOP governor says Volkswagen plant workers made a mistake in union vote
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Larry Demeritte will be first Black trainer in Kentucky Derby since 1989. How he beat the odds
Bill allowing parents to be fined for child’s criminal offenses heads to Tennessee governor
Halle Bailey Shares She's Suffering From Severe Postpartum Depression
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Taylor Swift reveals inspiration for 5 'Tortured Poets Department' songs on Amazon Music
Why Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger Are Facing Backlash Over Demolishing a Los Angeles Home
Mississippi lawmakers move toward restoring voting rights to 32 felons as broader suffrage bill dies