Current:Home > ContactTwo-time Grand Slam champion and former No. 1 Simona Halep suspended four years for doping -GrowthInsight
Two-time Grand Slam champion and former No. 1 Simona Halep suspended four years for doping
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 05:49:30
Former top-ranked player and two-time Grand Slam champion Simona Halep has been suspended from professional tennis for four years for doping violations, the International Tennis Integrity Agency announced Tuesday.
The 31-year-old tennis star from Romania was suspended in October 2022 for failing a drug test, testing positive for the banned substance Roxadustat, which is sold as an anti-anemia medication for kidney disease. The ITIA said it confirmed the presence of roxadustat in Halep at the 2022 US Open and irregularities in Halep’s athlete biological passport.
The agency said despite hearing from Halep and her expert scientific witnesses, it determined she committed doping offenses as independent experts ruled "likely doping" was the explanation behind the athlete biological passport.
"On 11 September 2023, the tribunal confirmed that it had found the player had committed intentional Anti-Doping Rule Violations," the agency said.
The suspension, which began in October, will run until October 6, 2026.
Simona Halep responds to suspension
The 2018 French Open and 2019 Wimbledon winner said in a statement she plans to appeal the suspension and "do everything in my power to clear my name of these false allegations and return to the court."
Halep said she has taken hundreds of "clean" blood and urine tests until August 2022, when she adjusted her nutritional supplements. She said an ingredient was contaminated with roxadustat and she has tested negatively for the substance since the initial positive test.
"This group ignored the fact no prohibited substance has ever been found in my blood or urine samples with the sole exception of one August 29 positive test for roxadustat, which was present at an extremely low level and which, when considering my negative test three days prior, could only have been caused by accidental exposure to roxadustat.
"The last year has been the hardest match of my life, and unfortunately my fight continues," Halep said. "I have devoted my life to the beautiful game of tennis. I take the rules that govern our sport very seriously and take pride in the fact I have never knowingly or intentionally used any prohibited substance. I refused to accept their decision of a four-year ban."
Halep's last match was her first-round loss in the 2022 US Open to Daria Snigur.
veryGood! (7791)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Serena Williams and Ruby Bridges to be inducted into National Women’s Hall of Fame
- 'A long year back': A brutal dog attack took her leg but not the life she loves
- Were Latin musicians snubbed by the Grammys? Maybe. But they're winning in other ways
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- USMNT scores three second-half goals to win in its Concacaf Nations League opener
- TGL dome slated for new Tiger Woods golf league loses power, collapses
- College Football Playoff concert series to feature Jack Harlow, Latto and Jon Pardi
- Trump's 'stop
- Starbucks Red Cup Day is sheer stress for workers. We're going on strike because of it.
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- AP PHOTOS: Pastoralists in Senegal raise livestock much as their ancestors did centuries ago
- Kevin Costner, 'Yellowstone' star, partners with Green Mountain Coffee Roasters on new blend
- Officials name a new president for Mississippi’s largest historically Black university
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- RSV is straining some hospitals, and US officials are releasing more shots for newborns
- Wait, there's going to be a 'Frozen 4' now? Disney CEO reveals second new sequel underway
- At talks on cutting plastics pollution, plastics credits are on the table. What are they?
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Drake announces 'Scary Hours 3' album, new project coming out Friday at midnight
Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs accused of years of rape and abuse by singer Cassie in lawsuit
Native American advocates seek clear plan for addressing missing and murdered cases
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Viking ship remnants unearthed at burial mound where a seated skeleton and sword were previously found
A secret revealed after the tragic death of former NHL player Adam Johnson
U.K. Supreme Court rules government's plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda is unlawful