Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:Writer for conservative media outlet surrenders to face Capitol riot charges -GrowthInsight
Rekubit Exchange:Writer for conservative media outlet surrenders to face Capitol riot charges
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 12:21:12
WASHINGTON (AP) — A Texas-based writer for a conservative media outlet surrendered to authorities Friday on Rekubit Exchangecharges that he joined a mob’s attack on the U.S. Capitol more than three years ago.
Steve Baker, who has written articles about the Jan. 6, 2021, riot for Blaze News, faces four misdemeanor counts, including trespassing and disorderly conduct charges. Baker was released from custody after he made his initial court appearance in Dallas on Friday, according to defense attorney William Shipley.
After the riot erupted, Baker entered the Capitol through a broken door and joined the mob at the barricaded doors to the House chamber, according to an FBI agent’s affidavit. Shipley provided The Associated Press with a copy of the affidavit, which wasn’t immediately unsealed.
In another part of the Capitol, the affidavit says, Baker “antagonized” police officers who tried to keep him on the other side of a doorjamb, repeatedly asking, “Are you going to use that (gun) on us?” He remained inside the building for approximately 37 minutes before police led him out of the Capitol, according to the FBI.
Blaze News is part of an online platform that conservative political commentator Glenn Beck founded in 2011 after leaving Fox News. Baker started writing for the media outlet after the Jan. 6 siege. He was working as a freelance journalist on Jan. 6 and later sold videos of the riot to The New York Times and HBO, according to Shipley.
Shipley said all journalists should be concerned about the charges against Baker. The lawyer said the defense will argue that this is a case of selective prosecution and that Baker has been charged because he is a conservative writer.
“Those can get reversed when the politics of the moment change,” he said.
James Lee Bright, another attorney for Baker, said it was “very troubling to see (Baker) in chains being dragged into federal court on these misdemeanors.”
“I have violent felony offenders that are treated better than this on a daily basis,” Bright said. “It is absolutely our intention to fight these charges, until the absolute very end.”
The FBI agent’s affidavit cites several statements that Baker made during and after the riot. After leaving the Capitol, he told a local television station that he was “quite excited to see this going on.”
“Do I approve of what happened today? I approve 100%,” he said, according to the affidavit.
Baker also told the station that approximately 20 to 30 people were inside then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office “at the time that I got there.” In a video uploaded to a YouTube channel on Jan. 6, Baker also referred to Pelosi with a sexist expletive.
“The only thing I regret is that I didn’t like steal their computers because God knows what I could’ve found on their computers if I’d done that. But by the time I got into Pelosi’s office, unfortunately there was some damage done,” Baker said, according to the FBI.
In an article posted on the website earlier this week, Blaze Media editor-in-chief Matthew Peterson described the federal government’s treatment of Baker as “outrageous” and said videos show Baker was “clearly present that day as an independent journalist.”
“Government retaliation such as this against journalists contradicts the very idea of a free press, the purpose of our form of government, and what once was the American way of life,” Peterson said.
Baker’s coverage of the Jan. 6 attack included the trial of Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes and four associates charged with seditious conspiracy for a plot to stop the peaceful transfer of presidential power from Donald Trump to Joe Biden after the 2020 election. Baker covered the trial from a courthouse room reserved for news reporters.
In the weeks leading up to his arrest, Baker posted on social media that the Justice Department informed him that he would be charged with Capitol riot-related crimes.
More than 1,300 people have been charged with Capitol riot-related federal crimes, including several defendants who identified themselves as journalists. But prosecutors — and judges — have routinely rejected arguments from self-described journalists that the First Amendment protected their conduct on Jan. 6.
Last September, a judge sentenced Infowars host Owen Shroyer to two months behind bars for his role in the riot. Shroyer didn’t enter the Capitol, but he led a march to the building and led rioters in chants near the top of the building’s steps.
Shroyer claimed he attended Trump’s “Stop the Steal” rally on Jan. 6 as a journalist who intended to cover the event for his Infowars show. He ultimately pleaded guilty to illegally entering a restricted area, a misdemeanor.
____
Associated Press writer Alanna Durkin Richer contributed to this report.
veryGood! (933)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Rachel Lindsay Ordered to Pay Ex Bryan Abasolo $13,000 in Monthly Spousal Support
- Organizers expect enough signatures to ask Nebraska voters to repeal private school funding law
- Green Bay father, daughter found dead after running out of water on hike: How to stay safe
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Out-of-state officers shot and killed a man wielding two knives blocks away from the RNC, police say
- Why Messi didn't go to Argentina to celebrate Copa America title: Latest injury update
- More than 2 dozen human skeletons dating back more than 1,000 years found in hotel garden
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Busy Moms Deserve These Amazon Prime Day Beauty Essentials on Revlon, Laneige & More, Starting at $2
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Supreme Court grants stay of execution for Texas man seeking DNA test in 1998 stabbing death
- Appeals court voids Marine’s adoption of Afghan orphan; child’s fate remains in limbo
- Busy Moms Deserve These Amazon Prime Day Beauty Essentials on Revlon, Laneige & More, Starting at $2
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Plain old bad luck? New Jersey sports betting revenue fell 24% in June from a year ago
- Zenith Asset Investment Education Foundation: Pioneering Financial Literacy and Growth
- Anger over Houston power outages after Beryl has repair crews facing threats from some residents
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Caitlin Clark at the Brickyard: NASCAR driver Josh Berry to feature WNBA star on his car
Paul Skenes, Livvy Dunne arrive at 2024 MLB All-Star Game red carpet in style
What to watch as the Republican National Convention enters its third day in Milwaukee
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Sniper took picture of Trump rally shooter, saw him use rangefinder before assassination attempt, source says
Amazon Prime Day is an especially dangerous time for warehouse workers, Senate report says
Few residents opt out of $600 million class action settlement in East Palestine, Ohio, derailment