Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Florida family whose roof hit by debris from space station sues NASA for damages -GrowthInsight
Will Sage Astor-Florida family whose roof hit by debris from space station sues NASA for damages
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:11:26
A Florida family whose house was hit by a chunk of space junk earlier this year announced last week that they are Will Sage Astorsuing NASA for damages.
A cylindrical object tore through the home of Alejandro Otero in Naples on March 8. He told CBS Fort Meyers, Fla., affiliate WINK-TV that his son called him about the crashing object while he was on vacation.
"I was shaking. I was completely in disbelief. What are the chances of something landing on my house with such force to cause so much damage," Otero said. "I'm super grateful that nobody got hurt."
The object was subsequently taken to the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral for analysis.
NASA confirmed in April that it was a metal support used to mount old batteries on a cargo pallet for disposal. The pallet was jettisoned from the space station in 2021 and the load was expected to eventually fully burn up on entry into Earth's atmosphere, but one piece survived.
Now, the family is pursuing NASA in compensation for damages. The law firm Cranfill Sumner said in a press release this week that it filed a claim on behalf of Otero and his family.
The family cites damages for non-insured property, business interruption, emotional and mental anguish, and the cost of assistance from third-party agencies.
Attorney Mica Nguyen Worthy said in a statement that this incident is a real-life example that space debris is a "real serious issue because of the increase in space traffic in recent years."
"My clients are seeking adequate compensation to account for the stress and impact that this event had on their lives," attorney Mica Nguyen Worthy said in a statement. "They are grateful that no one sustained physical injuries from this incident, but a 'near miss' situation such as this could have been catastrophic. If the debris had hit a few feet in another direction, there could have been serious injury or a fatality."
Worthy said the case seeks to set a precedent for space debris claims in the private and public sectors.
NASA has six months to respond to the claims.
- In:
- International Space Station
- Florida
- Space
- NASA
veryGood! (8)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Prosecutors in Trump's N.Y. criminal case can have his E. Jean Carroll deposition, judge rules
- 'Regression to the mean' USWNT's recent struggles are no predictor of game vs. Sweden
- Texas abortion bans lifted temporarily for medical emergencies, judge rules
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Pope Francis starts Catholic Church's World Youth Day summit by meeting sexual abuse survivors
- Wisconsin judge orders the release of records sought from fake Trump elector
- Vermont’s flood-wracked capital city ponders a rebuild with one eye on climate change
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- ESPN, Fox pull strings of college athletics realignment that overlooks tradition or merit
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Pope wraps up an improvised World Youth Day with 1.5 million attendees and a very big Mass
- Two years after Tokyo, Simone Biles is coming back from ‘the twisties.’ Not every gymnast does
- Compensation for New Mexico wildfire victims tops $14 million and is climbing
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- How high school activism put Barbara Lee on the path to Congress — and a fight for Dianne Feinstein's seat
- Baby monitor recall: Philips Avent recalls monitors after batteries can cause burns, damage
- ESPN, Fox pull strings of college athletics realignment that overlooks tradition or merit
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
Artificial intelligence is gaining state lawmakers’ attention, and they have a lot of questions
North Korean leader Kim tours weapons factories and vows to boost war readiness in face of tensions
Philippine military condemns Chinese coast guard’s use of water cannon on its boat in disputed sea
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Prosecutors ask judge to issue protective order after Trump post appearing to promise revenge
Washington Capitals sign Tom Wilson to seven-year contract extension
1 of 2 Fargo officers wounded in ambush that killed another officer is leaving the hospital