Current:Home > MyEthermac|U.S. and U.K. conduct airstrikes against Houthi targets in Yemen -GrowthInsight
Ethermac|U.S. and U.K. conduct airstrikes against Houthi targets in Yemen
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:07:32
The EthermacU.S. and U.K together conducted strikes for a second time this month against Houthi targets in Yemen, two U.S. defense officials told CBS News.
The strikes were launched against eight Houthi targets and conducted with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada and the Netherlands, U.S. Central Command said in a statement Monday evening.
"The targets included missile systems and launchers, air defense systems, radars, and deeply buried weapons storage facilities," CENTCOM said, adding that the strikes were intended to "degrade Houthi capability to continue their reckless and unlawful attacks on U.S. and U.K. ships as well as international commercial shipping in the Red Sea, Bab Al-Mandeb Strait, and the Gulf of Aden."
Earlier this month, with support from other countries, the U.S. and U.K. targeted just under 30 locations in Yemen with more than 150 precision-guided munitions.
In total, the U.S. has conducted eight rounds of airstrikes, including Monday's, against Houthi targets to retaliate for the group's continued attacks on commercial shipping.
Monday's strikes were successful and had "good impacts" on targets, a U.S. official told CBS News. The official said it was unknown if there were any casualties among the Houthis.
The strikes were launched from air, surface and subsurface platforms and included Tomahawk land attack missiles as well as manned aircraft from the U.S.S. Eisenhower, the official said.
The underground storage facilities contained more advanced weaponry than previously targeted sites, the official added.
U.S. officials also said the Houthis still "remain capable" of conducting attacks against shipping but this and previous strikes have "definitely degraded their ability to conduct maritime attacks."
The Iran-backed Houthis have launched over 30 attacks in commercial shipping lanes since November. Although no one has been seriously injured, the attacks have led some shipping companies to direct their ships away from the Red Sea.
The Houthis have not been able to successfully launch an attack since Jan. 18, although it's not for lack of trying. In two cases over the weekend, the U.S. struck Houthi missiles as the missiles were being prepared to launch, according to statements from U.S. Central Command.
Those two strikes were part of five preemptive strikes the U.S. took over the course of five days last week. A U.S. official previously told CBS News that the initial strikes the U.S. conducted with the U.K. destroyed enough of the Houthis' air defense capabilities to enable more extensive U.S. surveillance over Yemen, making it possible to see what the Houthis are preparing.
The Houthis started launching attacks at commercial ships, according to Houthi spokespeople, to protest the war in Gaza, but many of the ships they've targeted have no connection to Israel or Israel's war, according to U.S. officials.
The U.S. initially avoided striking the Houthis directly, in large part because of the Biden administration's focus on preventing Israel's war with Hamas from turning into a wider conflict.
The Pentagon in December announced an international task force called "Operation Prosperity Guardian," which is composed of about 20 countries that are set to act as a kind of highway patrol on the Red Sea, providing extra support to commercial ships if needed, according to the Defense Department.
That international effort is still in place, but the U.S. has apparently decided that direct military action against Houthi targets remains a necessity.
—David Martin contributed reporting.
Eleanor WatsonEleanor Watson is a CBS News reporter covering the Pentagon.
TwitterveryGood! (51)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Channing Tatum Reveals the Sweet Treat Pal Taylor Swift Made for Him
- Montana State Hospital shuffles top leadership, again
- Moms swoon over new 'toddler Stanleys.' But the cups have been around for years.
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Houston hospitals report spike in heat-related illness during widespread storm power outages
- Chicago removing homeless encampment ahead of Democratic National Convention
- Ex-NYPD officer is convicted of assault for punching a man 6 times
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Chiefs star Patrick Mahomes, wife Brittany announce they're expecting third child
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Inside Billionaire Heir Anant Ambani and Radhika Merchant's Wedding of the Year in India
- Paris Olympics ticket scams rise ahead of the summer games. Here's what to look out for.
- Pregnant Margot Robbie and Husband Tom Ackerley Pack on the PDA at Wimbledon 2024
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- 2 fire tanker trucks heading to large warehouse blaze crash, injuring 7 firefighters
- Jurors in Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial begin deliberations
- Why Gilmore Girls' Keiko Agena Has Always Been Team Jess in Rory's Best Boyfriend Debate
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
How many points did Bronny James score tonight? Lakers-Rockets summer league box score
Hungary's far right Prime Minister Viktor Orbán visits Trump in Mar-a-Lago after NATO summit
When is Wimbledon women's final? Date, time, TV for Jasmine Paolini vs. Barbora Krejcikova
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Carlos Alcaraz and Novak Djokovic will meet in the Wimbledon men’s final again
Baltimore Judge Tosses Climate Case, Hands Win to Big Oil
NBA Summer League highlights: How Zaccharie Risacher, Alex Sarr, Reed Sheppard did