Current:Home > InvestU.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base -GrowthInsight
U.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 14:58:22
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon is working with Niger officials to find a way for U.S. troops to stay in the country — a key base for counterterrorism operations in sub-Saharan Africa — following a weekend directive that they leave.
Last week a high level-delegation of U.S. officials, including Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Molly Phee, Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Celeste Wallander and the head of U.S. Africa Command Gen. Michael Langley, traveled to Niger to meet with members of the military junta.
Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said Monday the U.S. officials had “lengthy and direct” discussions with the junta officials that were also in part spurred by concerns over Niger’s potential relationships with Russia and Iran.
“We were troubled on the path that Niger is on,” Singh said.
On Saturday, following the meeting, the junta’s spokesperson, Col. Maj. Amadou Abdramane, said U.S. flights over Niger’s territory in recent weeks were illegal. Meanwhile, Insa Garba Saidou, a local activist who assists Niger’s military rulers with their communications, criticized U.S. efforts to force the junta to pick between strategic partners.
“The American bases and civilian personnel cannot stay on Nigerien soil any longer,” he told The Associated Press.
Singh said the U.S. was aware of the March 16 statement “announcing the end of the status of forces agreement between Niger and the United States. We are working through diplomatic channels to seek clarification. These are ongoing discussions and we don’t have more to share at this time.”
The junta has largely been in control in Niger since July when mutinous soldiers ousted the country’s democratically elected president and months later asked French forces to leave.
The U.S. military still had some 650 troops working in Niger in December, largely consolidated at a base farther away from Niamey, Niger’s capital. Singh said the total number of personnel still in country, including civilians and contractors, is roughly 1,000.
The Niger base is critical for U.S. counterterrorism operations in the Sahel and has been used for both manned and unmanned surveillance operations, although Singh said the only drone flights being currently conducted are for force protection.
In the Sahel the U.S. has also supported local ground troops, including accompanying them on missions. However, such accompanied missions have been scaled back since U.S. troops were killed in a joint operation in Niger in 2017.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Zendaya, Hunter Schafer have chic 'Euphoria' reunion at Schiaparelli's haute couture show
- County legislators override executive, ensuring a vote for potential KC stadium funding
- Judge orders the unsealing of divorce case of Trump special prosecutor in Georgia accused of affair
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- ‘League of Legends’ developer Riot Games announces layoffs of 530 staff
- Brooks and Dunn concerts: REBOOT Tour schedule released with 20 dates in US, Canada
- The Excerpt podcast: Grand jury to consider charging police in Uvalde school shooting
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Testy encounters between lawyers and judges a defining feature of Trump’s court cases so far
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Avril Lavigne announces The Greatest Hits Tour with Simple Plan, All Time Low
- Pennsylvania GOP endorses York County prosecutor in a three-way contest for state attorney general
- Manny Ellis' death prompts bid by lawmaker to ban hog-tying by police
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- U.S. personnel wounded in missile attack on Iraq airbase by Iranian-backed rebels
- Mexican popstar Gloria Trevi reflects on career, prison time, new tour: 'It wasn't easy'
- At least 5 Iranian advisers killed in Israeli airstrike on Syrian capital, officials say
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Nikki Haley mostly avoids identity politics as Republican woman running for president in 2024
New study finds that multivitamins could help slow cognitive decline associated with aging
How many delegates does New Hampshire have for the 2024 primary, and how are they awarded?
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Dave Eggers wins Newbery, Vashti Harrison wins Caldecott in 2024 kids' lit prizes
Are Jennifer Hudson, Common confirming their relationship? Rapper talks dating EGOT winner
Texans QB C.J. Stroud makes 'major donation' to Ohio State NIL collective 'THE Foundation'