Current:Home > ScamsFrench actor Gerard Depardieu is under scrutiny over sexual remarks and gestures in new documentary -GrowthInsight
French actor Gerard Depardieu is under scrutiny over sexual remarks and gestures in new documentary
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 17:34:18
PARIS (AP) — French actor Gerard Depardieu’s behavior toward women came under renewed scrutiny in France after a documentary showed him repeatedly making obscene remarks and gestures during a 2018 trip to North Korea.
The footage, filmed by a professional crew that covered Depardieu’s visit during the 70th anniversary of North Korea’s formation, was included in an investigative documentary that aired Thursday on national TV channel France 2. It had never been shown before to the public. Some excerpts quickly went viral on the social media.
Depardieu, 74, is among France’s most well-known stars. He was put under investigation in December 2020 for rape and sexual assault, reportedly at his Paris home, following allegations from actor Charlotte Arnould in 2018. The investigation is ongoing.
Depardieu has denied any criminal conduct.
In the video recorded in North Korea by an unnamed video production company, Depardieu can be seen making groaning sounds and sexual comments in front of women, including about a 10-year old girl. He can also be seen posing for a photo while saying he was “touching the bottom” of a North Korean interpreter by his side.
The documentary also features French comedian Helene Darras, who accused Depardieu of touching her bottom when she was a young extra for the 2008 film “Disco.” The Paris prosecutor’s office said Thursday that Darras filed a complaint against Depardieu in September for alleged sexual assault.
In a brief phone call with the journalists who worked on the documentary, Depardieu said, “This whole thing is deeply bothering me” and declined an interview offer.
He published an open letter in French newspaper Le Figaro newspaper in October that said, “I want to tell you the truth. I have never, ever abused a woman.”
About Arnould’s rape accusation, Depardieu wrote, “There has never been any coercion, violence or protest.”
“All my life, I’ve been provocative, outgoing, sometimes rude. … I never meant to do any harm, and I apologize for behaving like a child trying to entertain the crowd. But I’m not a rapist nor a predator,” he said in the open letter.
Film director Fabien Onteniente, who worked with Depardieu on “Disco,” said in a Friday interview with French broadcaster France Info that he didn’t witness any misconduct by the actor at the time. However, he said he “saw something” a few years later while making another film with Depardieu.
“So I had a private conversation with him. I told him that it’s inadmissible.” Onteniente said. The director did not give any details about the alleged misbehavior but said he decided not to do any more projects with Depardieu.
Film director Marc Missonier says in the documentary that he had previously heard about the “inappropriate attitude” of Depardieu.
“We can say that the French cinema world didn’t ignore the problematic behavior of Gerard Depardieu,” he said, adding that the actor’s “status” as a world-famous star had once protected him.
French investigative news website Mediapart earlier this year published information saying that Depardieu has been accused of harassing, groping or sexually assaulting 13 young women.
The France 2 documentary claims the number of accusers now stands at 16.
French women’s activism group Osez le feminisme, or Dare Feminism, denounced “rape culture” and expressed its support to Arnould and others women affected by Depardieu’s alleged misconduct. The group, which uses the hashtag #balancetonporc, which in English roughly translates to “squeal on your pig”, has widely been viewed as helping to create France’s version of the #MeToo movement.
veryGood! (969)
Related
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes return; new pumpkin cold brew, chai tea latte debut for fall
- Federal judge in lawsuit over buoys in Rio Grande says politics will not affect his rulings
- USA Gymnastics doesn't know who called Simone Biles a 'gold-medal token.' That's unacceptable.
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Maui County files lawsuit against Hawaiian Electric Company over deadly wildfires
- 'Bachelorette' Gabby Windey says this Netflix reality show inspired her to explore her bisexuality
- New flame retardants found in breast milk years after similar chemicals were banned
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Broken, nonexistent air conditioning forces schools to change schedules during 'heat dome'
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Jurors convict Alabama woman in 2020 beating death of toddler
- Horoscopes Today, August 24, 2023
- NFL preseason games Thursday: Matchups, times, how to watch and what to know
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Europe is cracking down on Big Tech. This is what will change when you sign on
- Prosecutors seek plea hearings for 2 West Virginia jail officers accused in inmate’s death
- 'Well I'll be:' Michigan woman shocked to find gator outside home with mouth bound shut
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Takeaways from first GOP debate, Prigozhin presumed dead after plane crash: 5 Things podcast
Judge orders new trial in 1993 murder, but discredits theory that prison escapee was the killer
Pittsburgh shooting suspect dead after 6-hour standoff
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Nerve agents, poison and window falls. Over the years, Kremlin foes have been attacked or killed
United Airlines to pay $30 million after quadriplegic passenger ends up in a coma
Dispatcher fatally shot in Arkansas ambulance parking lot; her estranged husband is charged