Current:Home > MyTrump’s attorney renews call for mistrial in defamation case brought by writer in sex-abuse case -GrowthInsight
Trump’s attorney renews call for mistrial in defamation case brought by writer in sex-abuse case
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 15:37:25
NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump’s lawyer on Friday renewed a mistrial request in a New York defamation case against the former president, saying that an advice columnist who accused him of sexually abusing her in the 1990s spoiled her civil case by deleting emails from strangers who threatened her with death.
Attorney Alina Habba told a judge in a letter that writer E. Jean Carroll’s trial was ruined when Habba elicited from Carroll through her questions that Carroll had deleted an unknown number of social media messages containing death threats.
She said Carroll “failed to take reasonable steps to preserve relevant evidence. In fact, she did much worse — she actively deleted evidence which she now attempts to rely on in establishing her damages claim.”
When Habba first made the mistrial request with Trump sitting beside her as Carroll was testifying Wednesday, Judge Lewis A. Kaplan denied it without comment.
In her letter, Habba said the deletions were significant because Carroll’s lawyers have made the death threats, which they blame on Trump’s statements about Carroll, an important reason why they say the jury should award Carroll $10 million in compensatory damages and millions more in punitive damages.
The jury is only deciding what damages, if any, to award to Carroll after a jury last year found that Trump sexually abused her in the dressing room of a Bergdorf Goodman store in spring 1996 and defamed her with statements he made in October 2022. That jury awarded Carroll $5 million in damages.
The current trial, focused solely on damages, pertains only to two statements Trump made while president in June 2019 after learning about Carroll’s claims in a magazine article carrying excerpts from Carroll’s memoir, which contained her first public claims about Trump.
Habba noted in her letter that Carroll, 80, testified that she became so frightened when she read one of the first death threats against her that she ducked because she feared she was about to get shot.
Robbie Kaplan, an attorney for Carroll who is not related to the judge, declined comment.
Also on Friday, both sides filed written arguments at the judge’s request on whether Trump’s lawyers can argue to the jury that Carroll had a duty to mitigate any harm caused by Trump’s public statements.
Habba asked the judge to instruct the jury that Carroll had an obligation to minimize the effect of the defamation she endured.
Robbie Kaplan said, however, that Habba should be stopped from making such an argument to the jury, as she already did in her opening statement, and that the jury should be instructed that what Habba told them was incorrect.
“It would be particularly shocking to hold that survivors of sexual abuse must keep silent even as their abuser defames them publicly,” she wrote.
The trial resumes Monday, when Trump will have an opportunity to testify after Carroll’s lawyers finish presenting their case.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Carrie Bernans, stuntwoman in 'The Color Purple,' hospitalized after NYC hit-and-run
- 135th Rose Parade boasts floral floats, sunny skies as California tradition kicks off the new year
- Pakistan human rights body says an upcoming election is unlikely to be free and fair
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Joey Daccord posts second career shutout as Seattle topples Vegas 3-0 in Winter Classic
- Carrie Bernans, stuntwoman in 'The Color Purple,' hospitalized after NYC hit-and-run
- 2024 Winter Classic winners and losers: Joey Daccord makes history, Vegas slide continues
- Trump's 'stop
- Michael Penix Jr. leads No. 2 Washington to 37-31 victory over Texas and spot in national title game
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- The Handmaid's Tale Star Yvonne Strahovski Gives Birth to Baby No. 3
- Nadal returns with a win in Brisbane in first competitive singles match in a year
- Sparks Fly as Travis Kelce Reacts to Taylor Swift's Matching Moment
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Doing the Dry January challenge? This sober life coach has tips for how to succeed.
- Rays shortstop Wander Franco arrested amid allegations of relationship with minor, AP source says
- Israel-Hamas war will go on for many more months, Netanyahu says
Recommendation
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Environmental Justice Advocates in Virginia Fear Recent Legal Gains Could Be Thwarted by Politics in Richmond
Bachelor Nation's Kaitlyn Bristowe Denies Cheating on Jason Tartick After Being Spotted With Zac Clark
Who is Liberty? What to know about the Flames ahead of Fiesta Bowl matchup vs. Oregon
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s New Year’s Eve Kiss Will Make Your Head Spin ’Round
15 Practical Picks to Help You Ease Into Your New Year's Resolutions & Actually Stick With Them
States and Congress wrestle with cybersecurity at water utilities amid renewed federal warnings