Current:Home > InvestFEMA devotes more resources to outstanding claims filed by New Mexico wildfire victims -GrowthInsight
FEMA devotes more resources to outstanding claims filed by New Mexico wildfire victims
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:55:11
The Federal Emergency Management Agency said Tuesday that it is devoting more resources to processing outstanding claims filed by victims of the largest wildfire in New Mexico’s recorded history.
The 2022 blaze was caused by a pair of prescribed fires that were set by the U.S. Forest Service in an attempt to clear out vegetation to reduce the threat of a catastrophic wildfire. Officials have acknowledged that they underestimated the dry conditions that had been plaguing the region for years.
Hundreds of homes were destroyed, thousands of residents were displaced and mountains were charred, leaving behind damage that experts say will have environmental effects for decades to come.
FEMA officials said more employees have been placed on temporary assignment to help with the claims and the agency is prioritizing claims that were submitted some time ago.
The agency has received $518 million in claims with documentation and has approved $330 million in payments so far for people with property, financial and business losses, said John Mills, a spokesperson for the agency.
The federal government set aside nearly $4 billion last year to pay claims related to the wildfire. Lawsuits have been filed by residents who say FEMA has been slow to pay their claims.
The federal agency recently announced that it will be implementing new rules this year aimed at simplifying and speeding up the recovery process for natural disasters nationwide. FEMA officials called it the most comprehensive update to its individual assistance program in two decades.
The changes were the result of feedback from survivors, organizations that work in disaster recovery, and elected officials. New Mexicans have been among those calling for changes in the wake of the wildfire.
The announcement that more employees will be assigned to claims from the Hermit’s Peak/Calf Canyon Fire follows a letter sent Monday by members of New Mexico’s congressional delegation. U.S. Rep. Teresa Leger Fernández and U.S. Sens. Martin Heinrich and Ben Ray Lujan pointed to the failure of the claims office to meet a congressionally mandated 180-day deadline for settling each claim.
They said the deadline already has been missed on more than 100 claims and that the office is expected to reach the deadline on many more in the coming weeks.
Members of the delegation said it’s important that any new claim reviewers brought on to address the backlog understand their role is not that of insurance adjusters trying to save money but rather to use the resources provided by Congress to satisfy claims.
“The people of northern New Mexico endured unimaginable suffering at the hands of the federal government, which started the Hermit’s Peak/Calf Canyon Fire,” the lawmakers wrote. “We urge you to do everything in your power to expedite the process to compensate claimants.”
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- New York selects 3 offshore wind projects as it transitions to renewable energy
- Oregon State University gives all clear after alerting bomb threat in food delivery robots
- Fountain electrocution: 1 dead, 4 injured at Florida shopping complex
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Netflix's 'Get Gotti' revisits notorious mob boss' celebrity, takedown of 'Teflon Don'
- Unusual tortoise found in Florida identified as escape artist pet that went missing in 2020
- Titans fire sale? Kevin Byard deal could signal more trade-deadline action for Tennessee
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Pilot who police say tried to cut the engines on a jet midflight now faces a federal charge
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Vanessa Hudgens Addresses Pregnancy Speculation After Being Accused of Trying to Hide a Bump
- John Stamos Details Getting Plastic Surgery After Being Increasingly Self-Conscious About His Nose
- Tensions boil as Israel-Hamas war rages. How do Jewish, Muslim Americans find common ground?
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Phillies sluggers cold again in NLCS, Nola falters in Game 6 loss to Arizona
- Michigan woman becomes first grand prize winner of state's Halloween-themed instant game
- Former 'fixer,' now star witness Michael Cohen to face Trump at fraud trial
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
JetBlue plane tips backward due to shift in weight as passengers get off at JFK Airport
All the Bombshell Revelations in Britney Spears' Book The Woman in Me
6,800 UAW members ordered to join strike at Stellantis' Sterling Heights Assembly Plant
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Candidate for Pennsylvania appeals court in November election struck by car while placing yard signs
Suspension of Astros’ Abreu upheld and pushed to next year. Reliever available for Game 7
How IBM's gamble ushered in the computer age